Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
“He’s like a spineless jellyfish, like a slinky,” Laich said. “You can’t hit him. You go to hit him and he just wiggles through you. I don’t know how he does it.”
Laich also commented upon Ribeiro’s … unusual fashion sense.
“I was like, ‘Holy Cow! Somebody put a mirror in front of that guy,’” Laich said. “It’s not a bad thing. If we were all the same we’d be all boring. I think he’s going to bring some flare for sure.”
Want an example of that, uh, flare? Here’s a photo (the second image justifiably zooms in on his diamond earring) from his July press conference, via Chris Gordon and Russian Machine Never Breaks:
So, to review, Ribeiro hasn’t played a single game for the Capitals, yet his team already has already compared him to:
- A spineless jellyfish (Laich)
- A slinky (Laich)
- A rapper (Adam Oates)
- “Slimy politicians” (OK, that one’s from a Montreal Canadiens blog)
That would all be really, really harsh … but some might argue that he brings it on himself.
After all, this is a guy who seems to infuriate opponents with his antics (like this infamous moment in the 2004 playoffs) as often as he dazzles crowds, such as this Feb. 16 overtime winner:
Long story short, he can be dazzling and irritating in equal measures. Sort of like a spineless jellyfish.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:48 AM EDT
Feel free to change that to “lose.”
Mar 31, 2015, 12:22 AM EDT
The overall damage is currently unclear.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT
And how good is life for the Calgary Flames?
Mar 30, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
Chicago ran Los Angeles out of the rink on Monday.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Just a minor penalty.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
Tampa Bay sweeps season series vs. Montreal.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:21 PM EDT
Not exactly fearing the jinx.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:28 PM EDT
He’s a trooper.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
A new wrinkle to the rivalry.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
He shakes off Saturday’s scary crash.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
Could he be ahead of schedule?
Mar 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Mar 30, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
L.A.’s first time back in Chicago since Game 7 of last year’s Western Conference Final.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
No more James Wisniewski.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Could be helpful in attracting and retaining free agents.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
The drive began by focusing on individuals for season ticket packages.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
“I think it’s going to come right down to the morning skate.”
Mar 30, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 30, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Flyers d-man has a lower-body injury.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18