Jan 11, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
On Friday, the Ducks announced that Scott Niedermayer — the captain of the club’s 2007 Stanley Cup championship — would be joining the organization as an assistant coach.
“I’m very excited to expand my role with the Ducks and take on a new challenge,” Niedermayer said in a statement. “I’m grateful to [Ducks GM] Bob Murray, Bruce Boudreau and the Ducks organization for giving me this opportunity and can’t wait to get started.”
Niedermayer was working under Murray in Anaheim’s front office (as a hockey operations consultant) before accepting his new role. As an assistant, he’ll join Boudreau’s staff and work alongside Bob Woods and Brad Lauer.
Niedermayer retired in 2010 after one of the most storied careers in hockey history. He is the only player to have ever won a Stanley Cup (x4), Olympic gold medal, World Championship, World Cup, Memorial Cup and World Junior title.
“As a player, Scott was one of the great leaders and winners of all time, making him a tremendous addition to our coaching staff,” Murray said. “His knowledge of the game and relationship with the players will be a great benefit for us. And he’s even a better person than a hockey player.”
This hire will likely be a boon for Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler. The 21-year-old actually lived in Niedermayer’s house during his rookie campaign and boasts the kind of offensive game Niedermayer can hone.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 8
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 74
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 67
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)