Jan 11, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
On Friday, the Ducks announced that Scott Niedermayer — the captain of the club’s 2007 Stanley Cup championship — would be joining the organization as an assistant coach.
“I’m very excited to expand my role with the Ducks and take on a new challenge,” Niedermayer said in a statement. “I’m grateful to [Ducks GM] Bob Murray, Bruce Boudreau and the Ducks organization for giving me this opportunity and can’t wait to get started.”
Niedermayer was working under Murray in Anaheim’s front office (as a hockey operations consultant) before accepting his new role. As an assistant, he’ll join Boudreau’s staff and work alongside Bob Woods and Brad Lauer.
Niedermayer retired in 2010 after one of the most storied careers in hockey history. He is the only player to have ever won a Stanley Cup (x4), Olympic gold medal, World Championship, World Cup, Memorial Cup and World Junior title.
“As a player, Scott was one of the great leaders and winners of all time, making him a tremendous addition to our coaching staff,” Murray said. “His knowledge of the game and relationship with the players will be a great benefit for us. And he’s even a better person than a hockey player.”
This hire will likely be a boon for Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler. The 21-year-old actually lived in Niedermayer’s house during his rookie campaign and boasts the kind of offensive game Niedermayer can hone.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)