Jan 11, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
On Friday, the Ducks announced that Scott Niedermayer — the captain of the club’s 2007 Stanley Cup championship — would be joining the organization as an assistant coach.
“I’m very excited to expand my role with the Ducks and take on a new challenge,” Niedermayer said in a statement. “I’m grateful to [Ducks GM] Bob Murray, Bruce Boudreau and the Ducks organization for giving me this opportunity and can’t wait to get started.”
Niedermayer was working under Murray in Anaheim’s front office (as a hockey operations consultant) before accepting his new role. As an assistant, he’ll join Boudreau’s staff and work alongside Bob Woods and Brad Lauer.
Niedermayer retired in 2010 after one of the most storied careers in hockey history. He is the only player to have ever won a Stanley Cup (x4), Olympic gold medal, World Championship, World Cup, Memorial Cup and World Junior title.
“As a player, Scott was one of the great leaders and winners of all time, making him a tremendous addition to our coaching staff,” Murray said. “His knowledge of the game and relationship with the players will be a great benefit for us. And he’s even a better person than a hockey player.”
This hire will likely be a boon for Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler. The 21-year-old actually lived in Niedermayer’s house during his rookie campaign and boasts the kind of offensive game Niedermayer can hone.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)