Jan 10, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
Brian Williams — he of NBC News fame — is a big fan of NHL play-by-play man Mike “Doc” Emrick.
But over the course of the 113-day lockout, Williams realized he and other Doc fans weren’t able to hear the U.S. Hockey Hall of Famer as much as they would’ve liked.
So, what to do?
If you’re the lead anchor of a national news program, you ask Doc to do you a solid.
Because Doc hasn’t been heard as often these past few months, Brian asked if Doc would call a game to air on his show, Rock Center with Brian Williams.
Doc agreed and called a Girls 12U league game near his home in Troy, Michigan.
The St. Clair Shores Saints (away, red) took on the Troy Lady Sting (home, white and yellow) on Wednesday, December 12, 2012. Doc provided the call from the Troy Sports Center in Troy, Michigan.
Both teams play in the Girls 12U league. The Lady Sting won the game, 5-2.
Here’s a clip:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You can catch the entire segment on Rock Center, Thursday at 10 p.m. ET.
For channel and listing information, click here.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)