Seguin says trashed Swiss apartment report “100 percent untrue”

Jan 10, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT

Tyler Seguin Getty Images

Boston Bruins forward Tyler Seguin has angrily denied a report claiming he left his apartment in “shambles” upon leaving Swiss club HC Biel.

“I was blown away with everything. I thought it was very unprofessional,” Seguin said, courtesy CSNNE. “I don’t want to talk about it too much, but everything [in the report] was 100 percent untrue.”

On Wednesday, Deadspin passed along a story from Swiss newspaper Blick, a tabloid publication claiming it spoke with the cleaning company hired to clean up Seguin’s apartment.

The translation of said story went like this:

“The parquet floor was littered with coins worth 220 francs [$238],” Blick reported.

Coca-cola bottles, garbage and dirty linen lay scattered across the floor, while rotten bananas were left on a table, the newspaper said.

The bathroom was a shambles and the cleaning company spent a full day tidying the apartment.

In December, when Seguin returned to America, the staff were met with a similar stiff challenge.

Blick said the hockey player was “not versed in appliances” and as a result tried to wash his clothes in the dryer.

“He also did not know how to operate the dishwasher . . . when he ran out of clean plates, glasses and cutlery, he bought plastic tableware.”

Seguin first responded to the report via Twitter:

Then spoke with a group of reporters today, explaining that:

1) He washed all his clothes at Biel teammate Patrick Kane‘s apartment

2) He took everything with him when he returned to America

3) There might’ve been some sour grapes because he got a cleaning service in his contract — something most Swiss league players don’t get.

“Maybe they went after me because I was one of the only guys on the team that asked for a cleaning service,” Seguin wondered. “But that’s something that I’ve always had and I didn’t think asking for it was a big deal.”

On the bright side, Seguin didn’t appear to have any issues with his alarm clock while in Switzerland. Progress!

1. anotheryx - Jan 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Seriously… that sounds strikingly like my room during college. It’s some young guy living alone, is there ANYONE that would be surprised?

2. nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I wish this was true. This would be so funny. “He tried to warm his soft taco shells in the DVD player, he tried to tenderize meat by banging it with a telephone receiver, and most bizarre of all we think he was trying to cook a pot of chili in the toilet bowl. The young man has no domestic knowledge.”

• betrayedbylife - Jan 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM

hahaha perfect response

3. Stiller43 - Jan 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM

The stuff about the clothes and dishes is hilarious, but it doesnt seem like he charlie sheened the placd or anything

4. misterchainbluelightning - Jan 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM

5. hockeyfootball98 - Jan 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Must be nice to demand a cleaning service everywhere you play

6. govtminion - Jan 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I don’t seem to recall my college dorm being kept like a museum, either- it’s a kid living on his own for the first time in a foreign country, if it was bad, then so be it. Non-issue.

• kitshky - Jan 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Ya that was my thought, forget about worrying about whether or not he should deny it, if it IS true ..who cares!? We’re not talking a hotel room after The Who got a hold of it back in the day.

7. Jaja.. - Jan 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I think i’m gonna ask my boss for a cleaning service in my contract :)
    Just curious what else was in that contract.

8. fortwaynekomets - Jan 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM

just……._LOL

9. shortsxit34 - Jan 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I’m onboard with everyone else. Even *if* the reports are true, it doesn’t sound like a big deal. There weren’t holes in the wall, trashed artwork, broken appliances, stained floors…It sounds like 90% of young adults first apartments or dorm rooms the first time on their own

10. sabatimus - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Nice. Way to cite a tabloid as a reason for a story. With the league starting up again, surely there’s better copy than this?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches