Jan 10, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
Boston Bruins forward Tyler Seguin has angrily denied a report claiming he left his apartment in “shambles” upon leaving Swiss club HC Biel.
“I was blown away with everything. I thought it was very unprofessional,” Seguin said, courtesy CSNNE. “I don’t want to talk about it too much, but everything [in the report] was 100 percent untrue.”
On Wednesday, Deadspin passed along a story from Swiss newspaper Blick, a tabloid publication claiming it spoke with the cleaning company hired to clean up Seguin’s apartment.
The translation of said story went like this:
“The parquet floor was littered with coins worth 220 francs [$238],” Blick reported.
Coca-cola bottles, garbage and dirty linen lay scattered across the floor, while rotten bananas were left on a table, the newspaper said.
The bathroom was a shambles and the cleaning company spent a full day tidying the apartment.
In December, when Seguin returned to America, the staff were met with a similar stiff challenge.
Blick said the hockey player was “not versed in appliances” and as a result tried to wash his clothes in the dryer.
“He also did not know how to operate the dishwasher . . . when he ran out of clean plates, glasses and cutlery, he bought plastic tableware.”
Seguin first responded to the report via Twitter:
All this house stuff is a bunch of crap. I do my laundry by myself quite often :) maybe I’ve called my mom twice about it #whohasnt
— Tyler Seguin (@tylerseguin92) January 9, 2013
Then spoke with a group of reporters today, explaining that:
1) He washed all his clothes at Biel teammate Patrick Kane‘s apartment
2) He took everything with him when he returned to America
3) There might’ve been some sour grapes because he got a cleaning service in his contract — something most Swiss league players don’t get.
“Maybe they went after me because I was one of the only guys on the team that asked for a cleaning service,” Seguin wondered. “But that’s something that I’ve always had and I didn’t think asking for it was a big deal.”
On the bright side, Seguin didn’t appear to have any issues with his alarm clock while in Switzerland. Progress!
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 5
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 33
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 18
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13