Jan 10, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Detroit fans will have to wait a little longer before No. 5 goes to the rafters.
That’s what Red Wings GM Ken Holland said on Wednesday, telling the Detroit Free Press that Nicklas Lidstrom’s number won’t be retired this season, largely because of the condensed 48-game schedule.
“We want to have a night for Nick like we did for Steve Yzerman,” Holland said. “To try to put everything together in six weeks — we’re trying to get the business back up and running.
“It’s a big deal to retire Nick’s number. We want to do it right.”
Lidstrom’s list of accomplishments and accolades is so long and well known — yeah, not even going to bother listing them here. It’s actually more telling that Detroit is waiting to plan something Yzerman-esque.
When the Wings retired No. 19 in 2007, it was a gala affair. The ceremony lasted one-and-a-half hours — the Yzerman family received a trip to Austria and a Chevrolet Tahoe and both the Michigan Governor and Detroit Mayor anointed separate “Steve Yzerman Days.”
Yzerman was also given a key to the city and saw the intersection outside of Joe Louis Arena re-named “Yzerman Drive.”
When Lidstrom’s No. 5 goes go to the rafters, it’ll be joining some pretty elite company. The Red Wings have only retired seven jerseys in franchise history: Gordie Howe’s No. 9, Ted Lindsay’s No. 7, Terry Sawchuck’s No. 1, Alex Delvecchio’s No. 10, Sid Abel’s No. 12 and Yzerman’s No. 19.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)