Jan 10, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Apparently the Calgary Flames don’t enjoy the constant questions concerning Jarome Iginla’s future with the team. As such, they’ll hold a press conference next week to provide the local media with the official franchise line.
“We determined internally the first day of camp we’re going to address that right off the hop and ask Jarome to do the same,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster, as per the Calgary Sun.
“We want to make sure everybody (in the media) is there, address it all at that time, and then neither party will talk about it again. Will that stop questions in Detroit and Colorado about it? No, but in saying that, it gives Jarome the ability to say he’s sorry but he already addressed it and won’t talk about it.”
Iginla, 35, has been the subject of trade rumors the past few seasons, with many suggesting the Flames should trade their captain and start rebuilding a roster that’s missed the playoffs three tries in a row.
Iginla has one year remaining on his contract, which has a salary and cap hit of $7 million. So far there’s been no discussion of an extension.
So, what could the Flames say next week? Could be that Iginla won’t be traded and that’s that. Or, it could be they’ll reassess closer to the deadline, but don’t ask until then.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 4
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6