Jan 10, 2013, 2:06 PM EST
Apparently the Calgary Flames don’t enjoy the constant questions concerning Jarome Iginla’s future with the team. As such, they’ll hold a press conference next week to provide the local media with the official franchise line.
“We determined internally the first day of camp we’re going to address that right off the hop and ask Jarome to do the same,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster, as per the Calgary Sun.
“We want to make sure everybody (in the media) is there, address it all at that time, and then neither party will talk about it again. Will that stop questions in Detroit and Colorado about it? No, but in saying that, it gives Jarome the ability to say he’s sorry but he already addressed it and won’t talk about it.”
Iginla, 35, has been the subject of trade rumors the past few seasons, with many suggesting the Flames should trade their captain and start rebuilding a roster that’s missed the playoffs three tries in a row.
Iginla has one year remaining on his contract, which has a salary and cap hit of $7 million. So far there’s been no discussion of an extension.
So, what could the Flames say next week? Could be that Iginla won’t be traded and that’s that. Or, it could be they’ll reassess closer to the deadline, but don’t ask until then.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)