Jan 10, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Apparently the Calgary Flames don’t enjoy the constant questions concerning Jarome Iginla’s future with the team. As such, they’ll hold a press conference next week to provide the local media with the official franchise line.
“We determined internally the first day of camp we’re going to address that right off the hop and ask Jarome to do the same,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster, as per the Calgary Sun.
“We want to make sure everybody (in the media) is there, address it all at that time, and then neither party will talk about it again. Will that stop questions in Detroit and Colorado about it? No, but in saying that, it gives Jarome the ability to say he’s sorry but he already addressed it and won’t talk about it.”
Iginla, 35, has been the subject of trade rumors the past few seasons, with many suggesting the Flames should trade their captain and start rebuilding a roster that’s missed the playoffs three tries in a row.
Iginla has one year remaining on his contract, which has a salary and cap hit of $7 million. So far there’s been no discussion of an extension.
So, what could the Flames say next week? Could be that Iginla won’t be traded and that’s that. Or, it could be they’ll reassess closer to the deadline, but don’t ask until then.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)