Jan 10, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Apparently the Calgary Flames don’t enjoy the constant questions concerning Jarome Iginla’s future with the team. As such, they’ll hold a press conference next week to provide the local media with the official franchise line.
“We determined internally the first day of camp we’re going to address that right off the hop and ask Jarome to do the same,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster, as per the Calgary Sun.
“We want to make sure everybody (in the media) is there, address it all at that time, and then neither party will talk about it again. Will that stop questions in Detroit and Colorado about it? No, but in saying that, it gives Jarome the ability to say he’s sorry but he already addressed it and won’t talk about it.”
Iginla, 35, has been the subject of trade rumors the past few seasons, with many suggesting the Flames should trade their captain and start rebuilding a roster that’s missed the playoffs three tries in a row.
Iginla has one year remaining on his contract, which has a salary and cap hit of $7 million. So far there’s been no discussion of an extension.
So, what could the Flames say next week? Could be that Iginla won’t be traded and that’s that. Or, it could be they’ll reassess closer to the deadline, but don’t ask until then.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)