Jan 10, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Apparently the Calgary Flames don’t enjoy the constant questions concerning Jarome Iginla’s future with the team. As such, they’ll hold a press conference next week to provide the local media with the official franchise line.
“We determined internally the first day of camp we’re going to address that right off the hop and ask Jarome to do the same,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster, as per the Calgary Sun.
“We want to make sure everybody (in the media) is there, address it all at that time, and then neither party will talk about it again. Will that stop questions in Detroit and Colorado about it? No, but in saying that, it gives Jarome the ability to say he’s sorry but he already addressed it and won’t talk about it.”
Iginla, 35, has been the subject of trade rumors the past few seasons, with many suggesting the Flames should trade their captain and start rebuilding a roster that’s missed the playoffs three tries in a row.
Iginla has one year remaining on his contract, which has a salary and cap hit of $7 million. So far there’s been no discussion of an extension.
So, what could the Flames say next week? Could be that Iginla won’t be traded and that’s that. Or, it could be they’ll reassess closer to the deadline, but don’t ask until then.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)