Jan 10, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
From the sound of things, Valtteri Filppula‘s knee injury won’t keep him out of the Detroit Red Wings’ season opener against the St. Louis Blues on Jan. 19.
Filppula gave a positive update to the Detroit Free Press’ Ted Kulfan after skating with Red Wings teammates on Thursday.
“It’s pretty good,” Filppula said. “I feel it a little bit but that’s to be expected. I’m confident I’ll be good to go when the season starts.”
The 28-year-old suffered an MCL sprain in mid-November while playing for Jokerit in Finland, but both the team and the player have big reasons to hope for an encore to his career-year last season.
Filppula is in a contract year and Detroit lost some key forwards as Jiri Hudler signed with the Calgary Flames and Tomas Holmstrom retired. Even with Mikael Samuelsson‘s return, it’s likely the Red Wings are crossing their fingers that Filppula can approach his 2011-12 level.
Being healthy is obviously a big part of that, and so far, it sounds like he’s close to 100 percent.
(R/T to Rotoworld)
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 0
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 25
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 57
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (57)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)