Jan 10, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Nathan Horton has put his concussion issues behind him.
“I’m not even worried about my head. Or being in contact. Or getting in a fight,” the Bruins forward told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty. “I feel better than I have in a long, long time.”
When Horton says a long time, he means a long time.
The 27-year-old winger has been dealing with concussion issues ever since Game 3 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, when he was crushed by then-Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome.
Horton missed the final four games of the series, but was able to recover in time to begin the 2011-12 season, posting 32 points in 46 games.
Then, more issues.
He missed Boston’s final 36 games of the regular season and the entire opening round of the playoffs.
But in July, things turned around — Horton was cleared for contact and was expected to be ready for training camp (which, given everybody’s bright-eyed “there won’t be a lockout!” optimism, was supposed to start in September.)
In November, Horton’s agent informed reporters that his client was “ready to go.”
Today, Horton confirmed the diagnosis.
“[I] had a lot of time to work out and get back to normal,” he explained. “All summer I had no issues.
“I’m just excited to get going. It’s nice to be around the guys.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)