Jan 10, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Nathan Horton has put his concussion issues behind him.
“I’m not even worried about my head. Or being in contact. Or getting in a fight,” the Bruins forward told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty. “I feel better than I have in a long, long time.”
When Horton says a long time, he means a long time.
The 27-year-old winger has been dealing with concussion issues ever since Game 3 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, when he was crushed by then-Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome.
Horton missed the final four games of the series, but was able to recover in time to begin the 2011-12 season, posting 32 points in 46 games.
Then, more issues.
He missed Boston’s final 36 games of the regular season and the entire opening round of the playoffs.
But in July, things turned around — Horton was cleared for contact and was expected to be ready for training camp (which, given everybody’s bright-eyed “there won’t be a lockout!” optimism, was supposed to start in September.)
In November, Horton’s agent informed reporters that his client was “ready to go.”
Today, Horton confirmed the diagnosis.
“[I] had a lot of time to work out and get back to normal,” he explained. “All summer I had no issues.
“I’m just excited to get going. It’s nice to be around the guys.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)