Jan 10, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Nathan Horton has put his concussion issues behind him.
“I’m not even worried about my head. Or being in contact. Or getting in a fight,” the Bruins forward told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty. “I feel better than I have in a long, long time.”
When Horton says a long time, he means a long time.
The 27-year-old winger has been dealing with concussion issues ever since Game 3 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, when he was crushed by then-Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome.
Horton missed the final four games of the series, but was able to recover in time to begin the 2011-12 season, posting 32 points in 46 games.
Then, more issues.
He missed Boston’s final 36 games of the regular season and the entire opening round of the playoffs.
But in July, things turned around — Horton was cleared for contact and was expected to be ready for training camp (which, given everybody’s bright-eyed “there won’t be a lockout!” optimism, was supposed to start in September.)
In November, Horton’s agent informed reporters that his client was “ready to go.”
Today, Horton confirmed the diagnosis.
“[I] had a lot of time to work out and get back to normal,” he explained. “All summer I had no issues.
“I’m just excited to get going. It’s nice to be around the guys.”
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 22
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 6
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 16
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 49
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 20
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 92
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)