Jan 10, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that he’ll stay in Russia until he sees a deal from the Avs.
While the two sides cannot sign anything until the CBA is ratified by the NHLPA, the Denver Post’s Mike Chambers reports that the current issue is term. O’Reilly wants a five-year pact while Colorado is offering three.
It’s been a tough haggling session between the team and its promising 21-year-old forward after his breakthrough work in 2011-12.
O’Reilly went from 26 points in each of his previous two seasons to 55 last year, jumping up to 19:32 minutes of ice time per game (up from his previous high of 16:46). That’s a sign of incredible growth, but perhaps the Avalanche are unsure if he’ll continue in that direction or if he’ll regress?
For the most part, Colorado did an excellent job locking up key pieces for reasonable prices during the offseason, though.
Even after a tough campaign or two, Matt Duchene‘s two-year, $7 million deal is a relative bargain. The same goes for top blueliner Erik Johnson, whose cap hit is a respectable $3.75 million per season.
Deals like those could help them be a sleeper team in this short season, yet bringing O’Reilly back would help that cause significantly.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)