Jan 10, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that he’ll stay in Russia until he sees a deal from the Avs.
While the two sides cannot sign anything until the CBA is ratified by the NHLPA, the Denver Post’s Mike Chambers reports that the current issue is term. O’Reilly wants a five-year pact while Colorado is offering three.
It’s been a tough haggling session between the team and its promising 21-year-old forward after his breakthrough work in 2011-12.
O’Reilly went from 26 points in each of his previous two seasons to 55 last year, jumping up to 19:32 minutes of ice time per game (up from his previous high of 16:46). That’s a sign of incredible growth, but perhaps the Avalanche are unsure if he’ll continue in that direction or if he’ll regress?
For the most part, Colorado did an excellent job locking up key pieces for reasonable prices during the offseason, though.
Even after a tough campaign or two, Matt Duchene‘s two-year, $7 million deal is a relative bargain. The same goes for top blueliner Erik Johnson, whose cap hit is a respectable $3.75 million per season.
Deals like those could help them be a sleeper team in this short season, yet bringing O’Reilly back would help that cause significantly.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks