Jan 9, 2013, 11:22 AM EST
A classic Central Division rivalry will be one of the marquee games on opening day.
That’s the word out of Detroit on Wednesday as both MLive.com and the Macomb Daily report the Red Wings will begin the 2013 campaign on Jan. 19 against their longtime rival, the Blues, at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.
The Detroit-St. Louis feud was reignited last season as the Blues captured their first Central Division crown in 12 years, snapping Detroit’s grasp on the banner (the Wings had captured nine of the last 10 division titles.)
Detroit won last year’s season series 3-2-1, which included a number of heated moments:
“I had the puck covered, I didn’t see anything coming, and just got my head taken off,” Elliott said.
“I’m not taking that, I don’t care who it is,” Howard said. “If you’re going to run into me that like or try to go through me like that, you’re going to pay the price.”
– In January, Ian Cole was suspended three games for hitting Abdelkader in the head.
If the reports are accurate, it’s a pretty solid feud to play up.
Should also be noted that — again, according to MLive and the Macomb Daily — the Red Wings will follow-up their opener against the Blues with a game against Columbus.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:33 AM EST
These things happen.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:10 AM EST
But they did score more than two goals in a game for first time since Nov. 28.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:35 AM EST
Because everyone likes a snack before they line up for a faceoff, right?
Dec 19, 2014, 12:31 AM EST
Last shift came early in the second period.
Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit
Dec 18, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
Montreal lost this game, as well.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
This was a back-and-forth contest.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:52 PM EST
And Roberto Luongo’s victory ties him for 12th on the all-time list.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
Dec 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Left the game after the first period.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:26 PM EST
Has played five games since his return.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:51 PM EST
Dec 18, 2014, 7:44 PM EST
These two have a bit of a history.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:39 PM EST
He’ll be in the lineup when Pittsburgh takes on the Avs at home.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:33 PM EST
When Colorado takes on the Penguins at Consol.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:07 PM EST
Journeyman tough guy is back playing in North America.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
So says Sharks coach Todd McLellan, who witnessed James Neal’s cannonball on Saturday.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EST
The Kings have lost five of their last six.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:12 PM EST
For a sixth-round pick.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:58 PM EST
“This is our adversity,” says Paul Maurice.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild have to be frustrated.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11