Jan 9, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
A classic Central Division rivalry will be one of the marquee games on opening day.
That’s the word out of Detroit on Wednesday as both MLive.com and the Macomb Daily report the Red Wings will begin the 2013 campaign on Jan. 19 against their longtime rival, the Blues, at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.
The Detroit-St. Louis feud was reignited last season as the Blues captured their first Central Division crown in 12 years, snapping Detroit’s grasp on the banner (the Wings had captured nine of the last 10 division titles.)
Detroit won last year’s season series 3-2-1, which included a number of heated moments:
“I had the puck covered, I didn’t see anything coming, and just got my head taken off,” Elliott said.
“I’m not taking that, I don’t care who it is,” Howard said. “If you’re going to run into me that like or try to go through me like that, you’re going to pay the price.”
— In January, Ian Cole was suspended three games for hitting Abdelkader in the head.
If the reports are accurate, it’s a pretty solid feud to play up.
Should also be noted that — again, according to MLive and the Macomb Daily — the Red Wings will follow-up their opener against the Blues with a game against Columbus.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)