Report: Red Wings, Blues to face off in season opener

Jan 9, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT

A classic Central Division rivalry will be one of the marquee games on opening day.

That’s the word out of Detroit on Wednesday as both MLive.com and the Macomb Daily report the Red Wings will begin the 2013 campaign on Jan. 19 against their longtime rival, the Blues, at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

The Detroit-St. Louis feud was reignited last season as the Blues captured their first Central Division crown in 12 years, snapping Detroit’s grasp on the banner (the Wings had captured nine of the last 10 division titles.)

Detroit won last year’s season series 3-2-1, which included a number of heated moments:

– In November, Chris Stewart was suspended three games for boarding Niklas Kronwall.

– In December, Justin Abdelkader ran into Brian Elliott, then David Perron returned to favor on Jimmy Howard (see here).

“I had the puck covered, I didn’t see anything coming, and just got my head taken off,” Elliott said.

“I’m not taking that, I don’t care who it is,” Howard said. “If you’re going to run into me that like or try to go through me like that, you’re going to pay the price.”

– In January, Ian Cole was suspended three games for hitting Abdelkader in the head.

If the reports are accurate, it’s a pretty solid feud to play up.

Should also be noted that — again, according to MLive and the Macomb Daily — the Red Wings will follow-up their opener against the Blues with a game against Columbus.

Related

Report: Potential openers for Avs, Wild, Leafs, Sens, Habs, and Jets revealed

1. grillmarks - Jan 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I know what I’m doing next Saturday night.

2. redwingsfan999 - Jan 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Can’t wait till the season starts

3. wingz101 - Jan 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

The Bluejackets still exist?

• michiganhockey11 - Jan 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM

They can’t keep bleeding money like they do. The have a loyal fan base but maybe they need to be moved to Quebec. Or maybe Hartford….

4. jtrain1966 - Jan 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

All I know is, i can’t wait to see how Detroit handles not having a sure fire first ballot Hall Of Famer in their lineup ! For the first time in 2 decades+, they won’t have an Yzerman, or Lidstrom . From a Blues fan, even that seems weird to me !

• valoisvipers - Jan 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I think that Zee and Dats will be first ballot HOF.

• michiganhockey11 - Jan 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

No question.

I might have to break out NHL 94′ on the sega tonight to see Lidstrom play again. That and Vlady as well.

• jtrain1966 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yeah that’s true but, i don’t see them like i see Yzerman, & Lidstrom . Datsyuk, & Zetterberg are great players but, I don’t see them being as great of leaders as Yzerman, & Lidstrom & that’s what i think separates them from Dats, & Zee .

5. michiganhockey11 - Jan 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Do I stay in and boycott the Wings season opener out of principle for how much the owners/players acted like idiots for 100+ days, or do I go out to the bar and enjoy it with a few pints? Tough call right there.

• scaarepittschamberofcommerce - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Hey man, it’s not the bars fault you havent been able to see hockey…

• michiganhockey11 - Jan 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM

You’re absolutley right. They probably could use the business. Wings season opener and a few pints it is!

6. orangey3189 - Jan 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Great, I already had tickets to the original Jan. 20th Blues/Wings matchup. Wonder how that will turn out for me.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches