Jan 9, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are reportedly set to host the Chicago Blackhawks on opening night — Jan. 19 — in a game that’ll feature the Stanley Cup banner and ring ceremony.
The news, first passed along by Sportsnet’s John Shannon, is the latest in a opening night picture that’s slowly coming into focus.
Yesterday, reports surfaced about a number of games already set for Jan. 19:
– Montreal to host Toronto in an Original Six battle,
– Ottawa traveling to Winnipeg for another all-Canadian matchup
– The new-look Minnesota Wild going to Colorado to take on their Northwest Division rivals.
Today, another one made the news: Detroit vs. St. Louis at the Scottrade Center in a long-standing Central Division feud.
The Kings-Blackhawks game should garner plenty of national attention, pitting two of the last three Stanley Cup champions against each other.
LA won the season series a year ago by going 2-1-1, winning both games at the Staples Center.
Update: To add to the fun, Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register says the Ducks were rumored to be the banner-raising opponent for the Kings, but Anaheim wanted no part in it. Come on guys, who doesn’t want to ruin a rival’s night?
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
But it’s one game.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:37 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
Things got interesting in the third period.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
Yeah, not a good night for him.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
This game may take a lot out of both teams.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Colorado erases two-goal deficit to send it to extra time.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
It at least seems like Jonathan Toews is shaking off bumps and bruises.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
That was fast.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
He had a big night.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
These teams don’t like each other.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
The Blues forward is usually the aggressor.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Opting to go with Mike Brown instead.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
He’ll remember that one.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Battle of California.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Stating the obvious.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Could this be a key one?
Apr 17, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
A cap hit of $7.5 million this season.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Carl Hagelin’s face haunts Philly in Game 1.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Did you hear Patrick Roy’s playing career ended against the Wild?
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39