Jan 9, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are reportedly set to host the Chicago Blackhawks on opening night — Jan. 19 — in a game that’ll feature the Stanley Cup banner and ring ceremony.
The news, first passed along by Sportsnet’s John Shannon, is the latest in a opening night picture that’s slowly coming into focus.
Yesterday, reports surfaced about a number of games already set for Jan. 19:
– Montreal to host Toronto in an Original Six battle,
– Ottawa traveling to Winnipeg for another all-Canadian matchup
– The new-look Minnesota Wild going to Colorado to take on their Northwest Division rivals.
Today, another one made the news: Detroit vs. St. Louis at the Scottrade Center in a long-standing Central Division feud.
The Kings-Blackhawks game should garner plenty of national attention, pitting two of the last three Stanley Cup champions against each other.
LA won the season series a year ago by going 2-1-1, winning both games at the Staples Center.
Update: To add to the fun, Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register says the Ducks were rumored to be the banner-raising opponent for the Kings, but Anaheim wanted no part in it. Come on guys, who doesn’t want to ruin a rival’s night?
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 32
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0