Jan 9, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
The NHL Board of Governors is expected to ratify the league’s new CBA today in New York.
Commissioner Gary Bettman will hold a press conference at 4 p.m. ET.
The players will vote electronically on the agreement on Thursday and Friday, paving the way for training camp to start Sunday.
Bettman, who’s known to run BOG meetings with strict efficiency, may still have to answer some tough questions about the agreement he negotiated with NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr.
“I’m not sure that this is the deal anybody expected,” a league executive told the Ottawa Sun on Tuesday. “I’m sure he’s going to have to answer some questions. A lot of teams will just be happy that hockey is back and won’t rock the boat.”
Tough questions are one thing, but even if some owners are less than pleased, what’s done is done and there’s not much point in getting on the wrong side of the commissioner.
Chances are today won’t have any surprises.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control