Jan 9, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
Philadelphia already has one high-priced goalie in town in Ilya Bryzgalov and he’s itchy to play a lot of games this season.
Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer spoke with Bryzgalov at Flyers camp and finds out the quirky Russian wants to bear the brunt of the action in Philly.
“I would love to play a lot,” he said. “When I played in Phoenix, I played in almost 70 games a year. And I feel great.”
“I understand the philosophy of how it works here – the fans, media, even the management of the team,” he said. “I made some notes in my head for myself, and I’m going to follow them.”
If only Bryz would put those thoughts down on paper for us to read…
Bryz is right about his workload in Phoenix, however. He played a ton. During a three-season stretch from 2008-09 to 2010-2011 he played in 65, 69, and 68 games while reaching the playoffs in the latter two seasons of that run. His 2009-10 season was his best one, statistically speaking.
With how frantic things got last year with both his play and his off-ice weirdness, it might be an experiment the Flyers are feeling skittish about. His monster contract under the new CBA doesn’t do him any favors either. That said, with Michael Leighton as his backup this season, Bryzgalov just might get his wish.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)