Jan 9, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
Philadelphia already has one high-priced goalie in town in Ilya Bryzgalov and he’s itchy to play a lot of games this season.
Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer spoke with Bryzgalov at Flyers camp and finds out the quirky Russian wants to bear the brunt of the action in Philly.
“I would love to play a lot,” he said. “When I played in Phoenix, I played in almost 70 games a year. And I feel great.”
“I understand the philosophy of how it works here – the fans, media, even the management of the team,” he said. “I made some notes in my head for myself, and I’m going to follow them.”
If only Bryz would put those thoughts down on paper for us to read…
Bryz is right about his workload in Phoenix, however. He played a ton. During a three-season stretch from 2008-09 to 2010-2011 he played in 65, 69, and 68 games while reaching the playoffs in the latter two seasons of that run. His 2009-10 season was his best one, statistically speaking.
With how frantic things got last year with both his play and his off-ice weirdness, it might be an experiment the Flyers are feeling skittish about. His monster contract under the new CBA doesn’t do him any favors either. That said, with Michael Leighton as his backup this season, Bryzgalov just might get his wish.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (42)