Jan 9, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
Philadelphia already has one high-priced goalie in town in Ilya Bryzgalov and he’s itchy to play a lot of games this season.
Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer spoke with Bryzgalov at Flyers camp and finds out the quirky Russian wants to bear the brunt of the action in Philly.
“I would love to play a lot,” he said. “When I played in Phoenix, I played in almost 70 games a year. And I feel great.”
“I understand the philosophy of how it works here – the fans, media, even the management of the team,” he said. “I made some notes in my head for myself, and I’m going to follow them.”
If only Bryz would put those thoughts down on paper for us to read…
Bryz is right about his workload in Phoenix, however. He played a ton. During a three-season stretch from 2008-09 to 2010-2011 he played in 65, 69, and 68 games while reaching the playoffs in the latter two seasons of that run. His 2009-10 season was his best one, statistically speaking.
With how frantic things got last year with both his play and his off-ice weirdness, it might be an experiment the Flyers are feeling skittish about. His monster contract under the new CBA doesn’t do him any favors either. That said, with Michael Leighton as his backup this season, Bryzgalov just might get his wish.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights