Jan 9, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
Philadelphia already has one high-priced goalie in town in Ilya Bryzgalov and he’s itchy to play a lot of games this season.
Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer spoke with Bryzgalov at Flyers camp and finds out the quirky Russian wants to bear the brunt of the action in Philly.
“I would love to play a lot,” he said. “When I played in Phoenix, I played in almost 70 games a year. And I feel great.”
“I understand the philosophy of how it works here – the fans, media, even the management of the team,” he said. “I made some notes in my head for myself, and I’m going to follow them.”
If only Bryz would put those thoughts down on paper for us to read…
Bryz is right about his workload in Phoenix, however. He played a ton. During a three-season stretch from 2008-09 to 2010-2011 he played in 65, 69, and 68 games while reaching the playoffs in the latter two seasons of that run. His 2009-10 season was his best one, statistically speaking.
With how frantic things got last year with both his play and his off-ice weirdness, it might be an experiment the Flyers are feeling skittish about. His monster contract under the new CBA doesn’t do him any favors either. That said, with Michael Leighton as his backup this season, Bryzgalov just might get his wish.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)