Jan 9, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Henrik Lundqvist has arguably never had a bad season and while the upcoming campaign might not be the exception, it wouldn’t shock him if it took him some time to find his groove.
The New York Rangers goaltender didn’t play in Europe during the work stoppage and he won’t get to participate in any exhibition contests before the season starts. With that in mind, rust could be a factor.
“To reach your top limit, I think you need a couple [preseason] games,” he said, according to Newsday. “You can’t expect yourself to go out and play your absolute best if you haven’t played for eight months. You get a week or something, but no games, so it’s definitely going to be a challenge.
“I’m not going to lie, I don’t feel great out there . . . I’m going to put pressure on myself to get back as soon as possible, but at the same time, you need to have a little patience, too. I don’t think my game’s going to be perfect right away.”
The players that found work during the lockout might be at an advantage early on and we might be in for some high scoring games as many goaltenders in particular adjust on the fly.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)