Jan 9, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist has arguably never had a bad season and while the upcoming campaign might not be the exception, it wouldn’t shock him if it took him some time to find his groove.
The New York Rangers goaltender didn’t play in Europe during the work stoppage and he won’t get to participate in any exhibition contests before the season starts. With that in mind, rust could be a factor.
“To reach your top limit, I think you need a couple [preseason] games,” he said, according to Newsday. “You can’t expect yourself to go out and play your absolute best if you haven’t played for eight months. You get a week or something, but no games, so it’s definitely going to be a challenge.
“I’m not going to lie, I don’t feel great out there . . . I’m going to put pressure on myself to get back as soon as possible, but at the same time, you need to have a little patience, too. I don’t think my game’s going to be perfect right away.”
The players that found work during the lockout might be at an advantage early on and we might be in for some high scoring games as many goaltenders in particular adjust on the fly.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)