Jan 9, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist has arguably never had a bad season and while the upcoming campaign might not be the exception, it wouldn’t shock him if it took him some time to find his groove.
The New York Rangers goaltender didn’t play in Europe during the work stoppage and he won’t get to participate in any exhibition contests before the season starts. With that in mind, rust could be a factor.
“To reach your top limit, I think you need a couple [preseason] games,” he said, according to Newsday. “You can’t expect yourself to go out and play your absolute best if you haven’t played for eight months. You get a week or something, but no games, so it’s definitely going to be a challenge.
“I’m not going to lie, I don’t feel great out there . . . I’m going to put pressure on myself to get back as soon as possible, but at the same time, you need to have a little patience, too. I don’t think my game’s going to be perfect right away.”
The players that found work during the lockout might be at an advantage early on and we might be in for some high scoring games as many goaltenders in particular adjust on the fly.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)