Jacobs: “This great game has been gone for far too long, and for that we are truly sorry”

Jan 9, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT

Jeremy Jacobs Getty Images

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman wasn’t the only guy to offer his apologies for the lockout at today’s Board of Governors CBA ratification. Bruins owner and Board of Governors chairman Jeremy Jacobs asked for contrition as well in addressing the media.

“On behalf of the National Hockey League’s Board of Governors, I am pleased to report that today we unanimously voted to ratify a new Collective Bargaining Agreement with the National Hockey League Players’ Association. Which means, to our fans all around the globe, hockey is back.

“This great game has been gone for far too long, and for that we are truly sorry.”

Jacobs went on to say, “Together our collective future is very bright.” Let’s hope the owners’ partnership with the players works out to be just that instead of cranky neighbors battling over whose fallen leaves belong to whom.

1. killerpgh - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Suck it Mr Burns

• jtrain1966 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Says : Homer Simpson, as he flips him the bird !

• isithockeyseasonyet - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM

They’re not booing you, sir, they’re saying boo-urns

• phillyphanatic77 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I was saying boo-urns

• rpiotr01 - Jan 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I like the way Mr. Snrub thinks!

• shoobiedoobin - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM

all of these replies kinda rhyme…uhh…urns

2. ravenscaps48 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Dear Jeremy Jacobs,

Eat S***!

Love,
    Everybody

3. jtrain1966 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I’m sorry Bruins fans but, if i may : Mr. Jacobs, SHUT THE F#*K UP ! I believe you’re sorry, like i believe i’m the richest man in the world ! But alas, we all know that’s boofugginshiz !

• madtolive5 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM

no need to apologize. Nobody hates JJ more then Bruins fans.

• lordstanley65 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Here here!!

• habssuck - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I second that.

• dropthepuckeh - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I’m a Bruins fan and season ticket holder and I agree with everyone on here regarding Jacobs. He had the authority to end this a longtime ago and instead he chose to prolong the lockout in the interest of his bottom line. He already prints cash here in Boston. If the reports of him intimidating smaller mkt owners are true he should be ashamed. It would be great for Boston and the rest of the league if he sold the team. I fear his son Charlie is no better.

That said, I will be at every home game just as he expects…

• nhloon - Jan 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

agreed from Boston, guy is the stingiest of all time. Fun fact too, all concessions go to his kids trusts not even a fraction to charity. Stingiest of all time……… but seeing as he got his cashola…….mozel tov Jeremy, you frickin (rich ) bum!

4. danphipps01 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM

“And by ‘we,’ I mean ‘you.’ Not gonna lie, I was too busy Scrooge Macducking it into my giant piles of money to notice.”

5. girth2k1 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I believe if they where truly sorry, we should of had hockey months ago. Just saying

6. solador78 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Concession stands are one of the the last great cash businesses.

7. nhl19 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM

As a Bruins fan this goes in one ear and out the other.

8. orangeandblack67 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Gotta love them Simpsons quotes. Jacobs is a certified tool bag.

9. lordstanley65 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The hubris of the man! Does he really thing that little speech is gonna mean squat?You people have it easy, we gotta live with this guy.

• jtrain1966 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I’m sorry to the Bruins fans, for your trials, & tribulations in having to deal with Mr. Hankie ! At least us Blues fans here in St. Louis don’t have an A$$#OLE owner to deal with . We should consider ourselves lucky !

10. shortsxit34 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Can someone fill me in on why everyone hates Jacobs? I’m not too familiar outside of knowing he’s the Bruin’s owner.

• solador78 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

He’s Chairman of the NHL Board, Bettman’s boss and the driving force behind the lockout.

As owner of Delaware North, the concessions service provider to the majority of teams, he’s earned owners in non-traditional hockey markets extra non-hockey-related income through “sales” of the consistently worst-rated stadium food in the country.

• rogersjd16 - Jan 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM

All correct but not why Bruins fans hate him.

Bruins fans hate him because of all the Delaware North revenue he brings in solador mentioned, he never earmarked a giant chunk to spend on the Bruins. For years they were one maybe two players away to complement the greats like Neely, Bourque, Sweeney etc and never spent as he could have (without a cap no less). They’ve always been one of the Top 5 most healthiest franchises but he never took advantage of it.

2011 Cup was all Chiarelli.

11. greenfalcon8863 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I will not be buying any concessions at Nationwide Arena. The concessions are run by Jacob’s company. I suggest others boycott the Jacob’s run concessions at many of the other hockey arenas.

12. thaoption1 - Jan 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Who cares!! hockey SuCKS. Let it stay gone for good.

• pone27 - Jan 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM

clearly an NBA fan here….

13. concoursrider - Jan 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Us Bruins fans have no choice but to deal with him. Kinda like the fat chick at party, you don’t wanna do it, but left with no options, you give in.

• jtrain1966 - Jan 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Hey, I dig fat chicks ! Besides, they need lovin’ too !

14. drabix - Jan 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM

blah blah blah. I don’t want to hear “We’re sorry”, I want to see the owners suffer.

15. 8man - Jan 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM

“We’ll crush those silly jackinape puck pushers like I crush this paper cup…eh…uhhh…uhhh. Smithers! Crush this paper cup!”

Go Bs!

16. orangeandblack67 - Jan 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Option, if you don’t like the sport why waste your time and even make a comment? You have just joined Jacobs in the running for Tool Bag of the month. Congrats

17. woodstakes - Jan 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I thought he already apologized?? I mean I could of swore I saw him standing right behind Bettman with his arm up his a$$ making Bettman say almost the same thing earlier. Hmmm… maybe i’ve been drinking to much lately.

• jtrain1966 - Jan 10, 2013 at 4:31 AM

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading your comment .

• valoisvipers - Jan 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM

About drinking to much?

18. bruinsfan1953 - Jan 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM

If yourreally sorry Mr. Jacobs then give us the NHL package on our cable for free to show you how sorry you are .

19. gitmo70 - Jan 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM

The only thing that Jacobs and Betteman are sorry for is all the revenue they lost due to the lockout! If the other owners actually gave a crap about the fans they would make a push to get rid of both!!

20. bricktop02 - Jan 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

That apology is as shallow as a puddle. Go to hell and rot you roach.

21. bricktop02 - Jan 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Hey thaoption1 YOU SUCK!!! Why are you even commenting if don’t like hockey you tool bag?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. J. Harding (1272)
  2. N. Niederreiter (1109)
  3. P. Rinne (1105)