Jan 9, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
As expected, the NHL’s Board of Governors unanimously ratified the league’s new collective bargaining agreement today in New York.
But it was commissioner Gary Bettman’s personal message to the players, sponsors, and “most importantly to our fans,” that stood out:
Bettman acknowledged that no explanation was going to erase the hard feelings that the lockout caused.
“I read the letters, I followed the tweets, I read the blogs,” he said. “We have a lot of work to do.”
Part of that work, according to the commissioner, will involve “outreaches” and “campaigns” aimed at reconnecting with the fans.
Bettman went on to praise the 10-year CBA as one he believes is good for the long-term health of the league.
“This is a good deal, this is a fair deal,” he said he told the owners, while admitting that ”not everyone gets what they want…on either side.”
As for his own future, Bettman called any talk of his departure “unfounded speculation” and that he’s looking forward to growing the game.
Now it’s the players’ turn to approve the deal. The NHLPA is expected to finish voting electronically by Saturday, with training camp likely to open Sunday.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)