Jan 9, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
As expected, the NHL’s Board of Governors unanimously ratified the league’s new collective bargaining agreement today in New York.
But it was commissioner Gary Bettman’s personal message to the players, sponsors, and “most importantly to our fans,” that stood out:
Bettman acknowledged that no explanation was going to erase the hard feelings that the lockout caused.
“I read the letters, I followed the tweets, I read the blogs,” he said. “We have a lot of work to do.”
Part of that work, according to the commissioner, will involve “outreaches” and “campaigns” aimed at reconnecting with the fans.
Bettman went on to praise the 10-year CBA as one he believes is good for the long-term health of the league.
“This is a good deal, this is a fair deal,” he said he told the owners, while admitting that ”not everyone gets what they want…on either side.”
As for his own future, Bettman called any talk of his departure “unfounded speculation” and that he’s looking forward to growing the game.
Now it’s the players’ turn to approve the deal. The NHLPA is expected to finish voting electronically by Saturday, with training camp likely to open Sunday.
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)