Backstrom visiting specialist in Michigan, Caps confirm

Jan 9, 2013, 11:08 AM EST

Nicklas Backstrom Getty Images

The Washington Capitals have confirmed to website Russian Machine Never Breaks that star forward Nicklas Backstrom is visiting a specialist in Michigan to explore what his agent originally called a “bruised neck”

Said the Caps in an email: “Nick and his agent informed us that they are being proactive with his injury and decided to visit a specialist prior to training camp. Obviously, as you know until camp officially starts teams cannot perform physicals on any player.”

Backstrom suffered the injury late last month while playing for Dynamo Moscow.

On Tuesday, Caps GM George McPhee declined to comment on the issue.

“There are some things we can talk about, some things we can’t, and we can’t talk about the fitness or health of any players until training camp,” McPhee said. “I’d be happy then.”

Alex Ovechkin was also a member of Dynamo Moscow during the lockout and he’s free to talk. Unfortunately, his report only raised more questions.

“I think he’s doing well,” Ovechkin said. “It was not a dirty [hit] than was before. But sometimes it’s not hard hit, you just feel a little dizzy. We’ll see how it goes.”

Backstrom was sidelined for 40 contests in 2011-12 due to a concussion, so it’s concerning to hear that one of his symptoms is dizziness.

As RMNB notes, Sidney Crosby saw a specialist in Michigan when he was struggling with a concussion.

1. ravenscaps48 - Jan 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Good Lord. This man cannot catch a break. I had a feeling a neck bruise in Russia is much worse than a neck bruise in North America. Just hope he’s okay, and get back on the ice before it’s too late for the Caps.

2. bigbadbruins77 - Jan 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

OuchThat video doesn’t look good. Head into boards. There goes my fantasy team! I have him and kesler. But beyond that I was looking forward to watching what Adam oates could do with a healthy green and Backstrom.

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Thing is, that was about a month ago, and he’s still dealing with diziness? Not good

• bigbadbruins77 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM

oh that’s not good. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone…well maybe Aaron Rome and Matt Cook.

• bigbadbruins77 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

wow that was a month ago? Put a fork in him, he’s done for the season :(

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Rene Bourque. I wish his head to be hit by Zdeno Chara’s member, and get a major concussion from it

• bearcountry17 - Jan 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I like Backstom, one of my favorite players not on my team. That said I can’t understand why players turn into the boards like he did there. What? Should the guy not hit you and give you a free pass to make him look stupid?. It’s extremely reckless especially for a guy with a concussion history.

3. rsl22 - Jan 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Wabakimi, after your complaints about OV talking too much and how he should shut up, are you going to complain about Brouwer now? Or Hendricks?

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches