Jan 8, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
The NHL has yet to announce what it’s 2013 regular season schedule will look like, but it appears the matrix has been set for how the games will be divvied up.
It will look like this…
Four games vs. two divisional opponents (4 x 2 = 8)
Five games vs. two divisional opponents (5 x 2 = 10)
Three games vs. 10 conference, non-divisional opponents (3 x 10 = 30)
…for a grand total of 48 games.
As expected, there will be no crossover play between the Eastern and Western Conferences.
The news, first reported by TSN’s Bob McKenzie, differs from last week’s report by the Pittsburgh Tribune’s Rob Rossi — in that matrix, teams were set to play divisional opponents seven times (7 x 4 = 28) and remaining conference foes twice (2 x 10 = 20).
We’re still waiting for feedback and analysis from various teams. It’ll be curious to hear how clubs will react to the unbalanced home/away split in the five-game series against divisional opponents.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly has confirmed to the Orange County Register the NHL will begin its 48-game schedule on Jan. 19.
- Report: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 7
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 68
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 57
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (71)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save