Jan 8, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
The NHL has yet to announce what it’s 2013 regular season schedule will look like, but it appears the matrix has been set for how the games will be divvied up.
It will look like this…
Four games vs. two divisional opponents (4 x 2 = 8)
Five games vs. two divisional opponents (5 x 2 = 10)
Three games vs. 10 conference, non-divisional opponents (3 x 10 = 30)
…for a grand total of 48 games.
As expected, there will be no crossover play between the Eastern and Western Conferences.
The news, first reported by TSN’s Bob McKenzie, differs from last week’s report by the Pittsburgh Tribune’s Rob Rossi — in that matrix, teams were set to play divisional opponents seven times (7 x 4 = 28) and remaining conference foes twice (2 x 10 = 20).
We’re still waiting for feedback and analysis from various teams. It’ll be curious to hear how clubs will react to the unbalanced home/away split in the five-game series against divisional opponents.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly has confirmed to the Orange County Register the NHL will begin its 48-game schedule on Jan. 19.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)