Jan 8, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
The full 48-game schedule hasn’t been revealed, but some preliminary details already seem to be leaking.
The season will begin on Jan. 19 and will feature at least one old and heated rivalry. The Montreal Canadiens will host the Toronto Maple Leafs, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports.
Elsewhere in Canada, the Winnipeg Jets will kick off their second season north of the border at home against the Ottawa Senators based on the Winnipeg Free Press’ sources.
Finally, the new-and-improved Minnesota Wild will reportedly start their season on the road, possibly against the Colorado Avalanche on Jan. 19. The two teams might then head to Minnesota for a rematch on Jan. 20, according to the Star Tribune.
It’s worth stressing that the schedule hasn’t been released so none of this is official. Additionally, it’s safe to assume that this isn’t a full list of the games that will take play on the first day of the shortened season.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)