Jan 8, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
The full 48-game schedule hasn’t been revealed, but some preliminary details already seem to be leaking.
The season will begin on Jan. 19 and will feature at least one old and heated rivalry. The Montreal Canadiens will host the Toronto Maple Leafs, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports.
Elsewhere in Canada, the Winnipeg Jets will kick off their second season north of the border at home against the Ottawa Senators based on the Winnipeg Free Press’ sources.
Finally, the new-and-improved Minnesota Wild will reportedly start their season on the road, possibly against the Colorado Avalanche on Jan. 19. The two teams might then head to Minnesota for a rematch on Jan. 20, according to the Star Tribune.
It’s worth stressing that the schedule hasn’t been released so none of this is official. Additionally, it’s safe to assume that this isn’t a full list of the games that will take play on the first day of the shortened season.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)