Jan 8, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
The full 48-game schedule hasn’t been revealed, but some preliminary details already seem to be leaking.
The season will begin on Jan. 19 and will feature at least one old and heated rivalry. The Montreal Canadiens will host the Toronto Maple Leafs, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports.
Elsewhere in Canada, the Winnipeg Jets will kick off their second season north of the border at home against the Ottawa Senators based on the Winnipeg Free Press’ sources.
Finally, the new-and-improved Minnesota Wild will reportedly start their season on the road, possibly against the Colorado Avalanche on Jan. 19. The two teams might then head to Minnesota for a rematch on Jan. 20, according to the Star Tribune.
It’s worth stressing that the schedule hasn’t been released so none of this is official. Additionally, it’s safe to assume that this isn’t a full list of the games that will take play on the first day of the shortened season.
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 77
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 27
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (74)