Jan 8, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens are set to invite veteran defenseman Mike Commodore to training camp, according to a report from RDS.
Commodore, 33, signed a deal with Montreal’s AHL Hamilton affiliate in November in the hopes of continuing his NHL career — he’s since appeared in 13games with the Bulldogs, registering one assist and 24 PIM.
The 33-year-old split last season between Detroit and Tampa Bay, notching two assists in 30 games while averaging just over 12 minutes per night.
The Lightning didn’t extend Commodore’s contract for 2012-13, making him an unrestricted free agent.
While the invite’s a positive step for Commodore, he’ll be in tough finding a spot on Montreal’s crowded blueline. Seven guys (Andrei Markov, Tomas Kaberle, Josh Gorges, Alexei Emelin, Francis Bouillon, Raphael Diaz, Yannick Weber) are currendly under contract and an eighth — PK Subban — will reportedly be signed soon.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 79
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)