Jan 8, 2013, 9:44 PM EST
The 25-year-old center suffered a neck injury while playing for Dynamo Moscow of the KHL on Dec. 26 and getting an update on his status is easier said than done.
“There are some things we can talk about, some things we can’t, and we can’t talk about the fitness or health of any players until training camp,” Capitals GM George McPhee said. “I’d be happy then.”
Alex Ovechkin was also a member of Dynamo Moscow during the lockout and he’s free to talk. Unfortunately, his report only raised more questions.
“I think he’s doing well,” Ovechkin said. “It was not a dirty [hit] than was before. But sometimes it’s not hard hit, you just feel a little dizzy. We’ll see how it goes.”
Backstrom was sidelined for 40 contests in 2011-12 due to a concussion, so it’s concerning to hear that one of his symptoms is dizziness.
About a week ago, Backstrom’s Swedish agent, Gunnar Svensson, said his client was day-to-day and “maybe week-to-week.”
Backstrom had 10 goals and 25 points in 19 KHL contests, which put him behind just Ovechkin in the team’s scoring race despite the fact that the Gavle, Sweden-native hasn’t participated in most of the team’s games.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 12
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)