Jan 8, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was previously told that the KHL “will honor its agreement with us,” but it looks like the Russian league still intends to defend any NHL players that don’t want to return to North America.
“Our league will act according to our own and international rules,” Medvedev said. “If players decide to stay, we will help them.”
He also doesn’t think that any players that argue against their NHL deals should be afraid of possible IIHF sanctions.
Needless to say, this could be a serious problem for some teams.
New York Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky has already stated that he plans to spend the rest of the season with Bratislava Slovan. Meanwhile, Ilya Kovalchuk is still playing for St. Petersburg SKA and won’t commit to returning to the New Jersey Devils.
“Time will tell (if I stay in the KHL),” Kovalchuk said. “Nothing is out of the question.”
For now, the NHL doesn’t want to respond to Medvedev’s comments.
“We will see what happens,” Daly said, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)