Jan 8, 2013, 6:47 PM EST
When Jonathan Quick underwent, in the Kings’ words, a “minor surgical procedure” for an inflammatory cyst and a disc fragment back in August, the expectation was that Quick would be available around the start of training camp.
Of course, they meant when training camp was originally supposed to begin. Still, with the lockout about to end, Quick has finally received medical clearance, according to the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
The timing of his injury and recovery meant that Quick continued to receive payments on his $1.7 million annual salary during the work stoppage. Those paychecks will balloon in 2013-14 when his 10-year, $58 million deal kicks in.
Quick was, of course, a huge part of the Kings’ Stanley Cup-winning run and it would have been a serious challenge for them to live up to expectations through the first half of the season without him.
Then again, it would have been an opportunity for backup goaltender Jonathan Bernier to show what he can do. As it is, the Bernier trade rumors should heat up again now that the season has been saved.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:08 PM EST
Sounds like it could be.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
And the players and coach seem to agree with the chart.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He’s been up, he’s been down.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The first punishment handed down from Saturday’s ugly Pittsburgh-Boston affair.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
‘Canes play tonight in Vancouver and tomorrow in Edmonton.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Bit of a dream season for the 27-year-old hometown boy.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Free agent signing has been a disappointment this season.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
“I guess I got him in the back of the leg.”
Dec 9, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
It’s a mismatch on paper.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
He led Philadelphia in scoring for a while.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Russian rookie is on fire at the moment.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Have won five of their last seven. Play tonight in Vancouver.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Hey, if you’re going to ask anybody…
Dec 9, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
Stemming from Saturday’s ugly incident vs. Boston.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
It’s a Metropolitan Division throw-down.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (125)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (110)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)