Jan 8, 2013, 5:24 PM EST
He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and he’ll turn 36 on July 1.
Anything can happen, especially in a shortened campaign, but the Calgary Flames aren’t regarded as a current or emerging Stanley Cup contender. Given that, Iginla might end up getting traded or simply chose to leave when his contract’s up.
“I didn’t expect that question so early. Yeah, it’s right back at it,” Iginla said in a Calgary Sun report.
“I’m really just excited to get playing again and have that opportunity to play in the NHL and compete here in Calgary.
“It would be my preference to stay here, for sure, and play on a good team, which I believe we will be, and to win here.”
The good news for the Flames is that if they do struggle out of the gate and decide that it’s finally time to trade Iginla, they will have a new tool at their disposal.
The CBA will give teams the ability to retain part of its player’s salary and/or cap hit when he’s traded. That would make Iginla’s prorated $7 million cap hit much easier for a contender to absorb and could allow Calgary to milk better prospects or picks out of any potential deal.
In the short-term though, Iginla has other things on his mind.
“I know it’s going to take some time to win some fans back, but for us in Calgary, the best thing we can do as a team is come out, be exciting and play hard and win,” Iginla said.
“Hopefully they come out and enjoy that, but I definitely understand how ticked off fans have been and they have that right to be. It’s totally understandable.”
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 9
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 85
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 79
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)