Jan 8, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and he’ll turn 36 on July 1.
Anything can happen, especially in a shortened campaign, but the Calgary Flames aren’t regarded as a current or emerging Stanley Cup contender. Given that, Iginla might end up getting traded or simply chose to leave when his contract’s up.
“I didn’t expect that question so early. Yeah, it’s right back at it,” Iginla said in a Calgary Sun report.
“I’m really just excited to get playing again and have that opportunity to play in the NHL and compete here in Calgary.
“It would be my preference to stay here, for sure, and play on a good team, which I believe we will be, and to win here.”
The good news for the Flames is that if they do struggle out of the gate and decide that it’s finally time to trade Iginla, they will have a new tool at their disposal.
The CBA will give teams the ability to retain part of its player’s salary and/or cap hit when he’s traded. That would make Iginla’s prorated $7 million cap hit much easier for a contender to absorb and could allow Calgary to milk better prospects or picks out of any potential deal.
In the short-term though, Iginla has other things on his mind.
“I know it’s going to take some time to win some fans back, but for us in Calgary, the best thing we can do as a team is come out, be exciting and play hard and win,” Iginla said.
“Hopefully they come out and enjoy that, but I definitely understand how ticked off fans have been and they have that right to be. It’s totally understandable.”
May 26, 2015, 1:13 AM EDT
Monday’s tough loss hasn’t weakened his resolve.
May 26, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT
Matt Beleskey scored the game winner after initially losing his second line spot.
May 26, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
Chicago was trailing for most of the game.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)