Jan 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Chances are, it won’t be easy to sign such a big-time piece of the puzzle in a week or so.
Teams like the Winnipeg Jets signed restricted free agents such as Evander Kane before the lockout – sometimes with precious little remaining time – but Subban ranks among Jamie Benn and Michael Del Zotto as noteworthy RFAs waiting for new contracts.
As you can see in this post, Subban put the onus on the Habs organization, claiming that the ball is in their court instead of his.
Yet when you look at how much Montreal depends on the 23-year-old defenseman, it’s hard to claim that he lacks any leverage. While his scoring numbers didn’t match his workload increase, Subban played a big role, averaging more than 24 minutes per game.
It’s tough to imagine him being much less integral to the Canadiens’ defense – unless he’s watching from afar without a contract.
So how much do you think he’s worth?
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 2
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)