Jan 8, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
Mikhail Grigorenko will get a chance to make this year’s Buffalo Sabres after all.
Grigorenko was taken with the 12th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. Since then, he has scored 29 goals and 50 points in 30 games with the QMJHL’s Quebec Remparts.
He was also a key member of Team Russia in the 2013 World Junior Championship.
The Sabres will be able to use Grigorenko in up to nine games before this would count as the first year of his entry-level contract. If they decide he’s not ready or isn’t getting sufficient ice time, Buffalo would have the option of returning him to the Remparts prior to his 10th NHL contest.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)