Jan 8, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
Mikhail Grigorenko will get a chance to make this year’s Buffalo Sabres after all.
Grigorenko was taken with the 12th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. Since then, he has scored 29 goals and 50 points in 30 games with the QMJHL’s Quebec Remparts.
He was also a key member of Team Russia in the 2013 World Junior Championship.
The Sabres will be able to use Grigorenko in up to nine games before this would count as the first year of his entry-level contract. If they decide he’s not ready or isn’t getting sufficient ice time, Buffalo would have the option of returning him to the Remparts prior to his 10th NHL contest.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12