Jan 8, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
Some sad news to report — Katie Moore, wife of veteran NHLer Dominic Moore, has passed away after a battle with liver cancer.
The hockey world first learned of Katie’s illness shortly after Dominic missed the final two games of San Jose’s opening-round playoff loss to St. Louis.
In early June, the Sharks released the following statement on Dominic’s behalf:
There have been a lot of questions and concerns raised since it was revealed that I had to miss several games of the Sharks/Blues playoff series due to a family matter and I wanted to update extended family, friends, and former teammates on our situation.
Towards the end of the 2011-12 season, my wife, Katie, began feeling ill. We visited with local doctors, who suggested running a variety of tests to ascertain the cause of the issue. Ultimately, Katie was diagnosed with a rare liver cancer and it was recommended that she undergo surgery, which took place in California in April.
While it was disappointing to not be able to compete with my Sharks teammates in the playoffs, my wife’s condition and care come first and I want to thank the Sharks organization, my teammates and their families for the love and support that has been shown to Katie and I during this difficult time.
Condolences to Dominic and the entire Moore family for the loss.
Update (8:45 p.m. ET): Dominic Moore released a statement through the NHLPA on his wife’s passing:
On behalf of my family, I’d like to express our deep appreciation for the overwhelming care and sympathy we have received since my wife’s passing on Monday. The example Katie displayed throughout her life and in particular during her illness is a source of continued strength and inspiration for us all, as is the love and support of those around us. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the future Katie Moore foundation at katiemoore.org.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)