Jan 7, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are set to lose another long-time member to retirement.
Goalie menace and power play goal scorer Tomas Holmstrom is set to call it a career according to Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily in Michigan.
Earlier in the summer, it was believed Holmstrom and Nicklas Lidstrom’s fates would be intertwined as they’re very good friends. When Lidstrom announced his retirement, Holmstrom was still undecided on his future as recently as September.
Instead, at 39 years-old he’ll be retiring from the game and leaving behind a legacy that sees him as a folk hero in Detroit and despised by fans and goalies everywhere else.
In 15 seasons in the NHL, all with the Red Wings, Holmstrom won four Stanley Cups and finished with 243 goals. He also earned a reputation for bringing misery to opponents in front of the net thanks to his posterior and his stick work.
Detroit will likely give a shot to youngster Gustav Nyqvist to earn a larger role with the team and provide the goals they’ll lose with Holmstrom’s retirement.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)