Jan 7, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are set to lose another long-time member to retirement.
Goalie menace and power play goal scorer Tomas Holmstrom is set to call it a career according to Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily in Michigan.
Earlier in the summer, it was believed Holmstrom and Nicklas Lidstrom’s fates would be intertwined as they’re very good friends. When Lidstrom announced his retirement, Holmstrom was still undecided on his future as recently as September.
Instead, at 39 years-old he’ll be retiring from the game and leaving behind a legacy that sees him as a folk hero in Detroit and despised by fans and goalies everywhere else.
In 15 seasons in the NHL, all with the Red Wings, Holmstrom won four Stanley Cups and finished with 243 goals. He also earned a reputation for bringing misery to opponents in front of the net thanks to his posterior and his stick work.
Detroit will likely give a shot to youngster Gustav Nyqvist to earn a larger role with the team and provide the goals they’ll lose with Holmstrom’s retirement.
- Burrows leaves Saddledome in ambulance, out with reported broken rib 13
- Byfuglien channels Marshawn Lynch, repeats same phrase with reporters (Updated with video) 14
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 12
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 58
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 42
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 51
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 103
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 6
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (103)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)