Jan 7, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
The Red Wings will soon announce Henrik Zetterberg as the 36th team captain in club history.
MLive’s Ansar Khan reports the club is set to confirm what was pretty obvious upon former captain Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement — Lidstrom called it career in late May and, soon after, pundits began pegging Zetterberg as the likely heir to the “C”.
The 32-year-old has spent his entire 10-year career in Detroit, leading the club to the Stanley Cup in 2008, winning both the Conn Smythe and Selke trophies.
With the move, Zetterberg will become Detroit’s third captain since 1986 — joining Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman — and just the
third fourth Swedish captain in the NHL, along with Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.
Oh, and since we’re on the captaincy tip…
The Flyers have yet to decide who will wear the “C” for 2013. Nobody inherited it last season after Chris Pronger was shut down — instead, the Flyers went with a trio of alternates: Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen.
Philly GM Paul Holmgren told the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli he hadn’t started thinking of naming a captain yet.
“I guess I’ll have to add it to the list,” he said.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT(Edit)
24-year-old forward would require waivers to be sent down…
Jul 27, 2015, 4:28 PM EDT(Edit)
Hence the six-year, $39 million contract.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT(Edit)
Looking to become a full-time NHLer after suffering a series of injuries at the start his pro career.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT(Edit)
The alignment debate rages on.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT(Edit)
Click to see who’s still left.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT(Edit)
Hearing scheduled for Wednesday.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT(Edit)
He calls it the six-year, $25 million contract “good for both sides.”
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT(Edit)
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT(Edit)
The only certainty is short-term.
Jul 26, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT(Edit)
Holdovers are noticing a summer of improvements for Buffalo.
Jul 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT(Edit)
The two sides avoided arbitration on Sunday.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)