Jan 7, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
If the NHL season is to start on Jan. 19, a number of tight deadlines will need to be met.
The players’ union will reportedly finalize voting on the new CBA by Saturday, Jan. 12, according to Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press.
The timing of that vote will likely push the start of training camps to Sunday (Jan. 13), a day later than many sources had speculated they would begin.
If all that goes according to plan, the season will “barely” be able to begin on Jan. 19 — and it’ll be a 48-game schedule, according to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly.
“It depends on ratification timeline for PA,” Daly told the Canadian Press via email. “But it’s looking more and more like 48 games is going to be the only option.”
The NHL’s Board of Governors is expected to meet in New York on Wednesday to cast its vote on the CBA.
There’s no official schedule for the NHLPA to vote, but it’s believed the union wants to take its time reviewing the agreement, hence the Saturday deadline.
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 27
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 4
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 81
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1