Jan 7, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
If the NHL season is to start on Jan. 19, a number of tight deadlines will need to be met.
The players’ union will reportedly finalize voting on the new CBA by Saturday, Jan. 12, according to Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press.
The timing of that vote will likely push the start of training camps to Sunday (Jan. 13), a day later than many sources had speculated they would begin.
If all that goes according to plan, the season will “barely” be able to begin on Jan. 19 — and it’ll be a 48-game schedule, according to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly.
“It depends on ratification timeline for PA,” Daly told the Canadian Press via email. “But it’s looking more and more like 48 games is going to be the only option.”
The NHL’s Board of Governors is expected to meet in New York on Wednesday to cast its vote on the CBA.
There’s no official schedule for the NHLPA to vote, but it’s believed the union wants to take its time reviewing the agreement, hence the Saturday deadline.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Pole Day of Indy 500 qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit