Jan 7, 2013, 5:33 PM EST
One of the NHL’s most prominent pests is vowing to cut down the chirping.
In fact, he might not chirp at all anymore.
“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking,” Canucks forward Maxim Lapierre said Monday, as per The Province. “It’s going to be a physical game when we get back and I don’t think I’m going to talk as much on the ice. I even think I’m not even going to talk at all. I’m going to play my role and play physical. Do what I have to do and get back to the bench.”
With Ryan Kesler expected to miss the start of the season (and potentially much more), Lapierre, a center, could see his ice time increase dramatically from the 11:14 he received in 2011-12.
Add to the fact Manny Malhotra hasn’t been the same since his eye injury and Cody Hodgson was traded to Buffalo last year, and there’s a reason that 1) Vancouver will need Lapierre on the ice, not in the penalty box and 2) the Canucks are hoping to get a center in return for Roberto Luongo should they end up trading the goalie.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)