Jan 7, 2013, 5:33 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s most prominent pests is vowing to cut down the chirping.
In fact, he might not chirp at all anymore.
“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking,” Canucks forward Maxim Lapierre said Monday, as per The Province. “It’s going to be a physical game when we get back and I don’t think I’m going to talk as much on the ice. I even think I’m not even going to talk at all. I’m going to play my role and play physical. Do what I have to do and get back to the bench.”
With Ryan Kesler expected to miss the start of the season (and potentially much more), Lapierre, a center, could see his ice time increase dramatically from the 11:14 he received in 2011-12.
Add to the fact Manny Malhotra hasn’t been the same since his eye injury and Cody Hodgson was traded to Buffalo last year, and there’s a reason that 1) Vancouver will need Lapierre on the ice, not in the penalty box and 2) the Canucks are hoping to get a center in return for Roberto Luongo should they end up trading the goalie.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)