Here’s how American newspapers treated the return of the NHL

Jan 7, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT

It was pretty much a given that the end of the NHL lockout would be front page news in Canada…

source:

…but would American newspapers give it the same treatment? Let’s take a look:

source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:  source:

source:  source:  source:

Obviously this isn’t the most scientific way to measure a market’s level of interest in hockey. Sorry Capitals, but RG3′s getting the big headline today in Washington. (Go Seahawks!) And some papers are more sports-focused than others. But all of the ones we looked at had at least a mention, though you have to look pretty hard at the Denver Post.

Anyway, if we missed your local paper, here’s where we got all the front pages from.

1. jimmywho14 - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Gotta love the Philadelphia Daly News. Always has great headlines for sports

2. nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

To be fair, nothing better is happening in Philly sports.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Which is why we are all so excited, the next thing we had to look forward to was the nfl draft or arguably the return of Bynum (which I doubt will happen)

• mclovinhockey - Jan 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM

haha agreed but still, I expected more from the other papers… philly by far was the best ad on this. I mean maybe not front page news with other stuff going on but the Daily News is not just a sports paper. Its a normal paper so that its front page shows how much interest this is there.
      Here in Montreal it was the first thing I heard about, when I signed on line my one facebook which is pretty much just hockey fans was crazy!!!! however the most excited by far in the US was philly.

• jtrain1966 - Jan 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM

The reporters in St. Louis have listened to the fans, & they didn’t particularly care for the lock out although, they do give a s#!t about the St. Louis Blues . People around here just didn’t want to hear about the trials, & tribulations of billionaires, & millionaires ! So why should the only paper in this city, dedicate any, or much space to a needless story that should not have happened ? I am a St. Louis Blues fan, born, & raised in this city & even I don’t care that there is not much coverage of the lock out . Hell, the local news may have dedicated whole 2 minutes to this fiasco, we don’t care just : JUST DROP THE PUCK !

• icelovinbrotha215 - Jan 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

It has been rough in the 215 ha.

3. colonelfancy - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

For all the “niche sport” crap that hockey gets in this country, to see that spead for the Tampa Bay Times makes me want to shove that paper in Kevin Blackistone’s face.

• aesophy - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Having lived in Tampa for the past 12 years after moving from Minnesota, I still cannot figure out why most comments about us are that we are “not a hockey city” when everything I’ve seen is to the contrary. I mean, our attendance for games is not the best in the league but it’s far from the worst. The Lightning will never be as popular as the Buccaneers or the Rays but hockey will never be a just niche sport in this city, considering there is significant infrastructure downtown built specifically for hockey games. I cannot say the same for Phoenix or Dallas or Florida but as far as hockey in Tampa; I don’t think it’s as far-fetched or ill-conceived as some people’s comments make it out to be…

• colonelfancy - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I completely agree with you. That Ice Palace looks tremendous, such a stadium wouldn’t be built for an afterthought sport.

• tbbolts91 - Jan 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

unlike the bucs and the rays the lightning can actually sell out!

• mclovinhockey - Jan 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

meh, any city who doesn’t make money with their team is usually not considered a hockey city… I think I just saw tampa or flordia lost 8 mill last year.

4. nhbsfan - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM

The Boston Herald has a great front page! It should be included… :)

null

• rogersjd16 - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Good work nhbsfan. Was going to mention and include that link myself…Go B’s!!

• sabatimus - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM

That is the best cover I’ve seen.

5. jhuck92 - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Hockey is Canada’s sport. People here in the US (those who still read the paper anyway) want to hear about the NFL playoffs and how bad RG3 got hurt, even though they saw it the night before.

• rogersjd16 - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Except for every single American paper they just posted above. Moron. Even being correct, not really a smart comment considering the source material.

• rsl22 - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Hockey is Canada’s sport…and what color was that medal at the world juniors tourney last week? Too soon?

(I understand you wrote “people here in the US” implying you’re an American, and lots of people are going to say one medal doesn’t mean anything, but three golds in 10 years is pretty solid and a sign the game is no longer just Canada’s.)

• kitshky - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Even though you make very solid (and respectful) points, I as a proud Canadian …shall now thumb down your comment out of spite.

• rsl22 - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Ha. I’m fine with that.

• jhuck92 - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Roger and rsl, you misunderstand me. I love hockey as much as I don’t like football. I had to suffer through the past couple of months lamenting the lockout while my buddies talked about RG3. What I meant was hockey is Canada’s major sport, football is America’s. The point I think Jason Brough was trying to make was that Americans have a predisposition towards football (especially during the playoffs). I’m not talking about the players’ abilities. I’m talking about how the average American Joe sees the NHL compared to the NFL playoffs. That’s why the majority of those pages only had a snippet of information concerning the lockout.

• andrewsabourin13 - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM

And what was the colour of the medal US won last year? or In 2010 at the Olympics? Too soon?

• rsl22 - Jan 7, 2013 at 6:22 PM

jhuck92, I was purposefully misinterpreting your comment to mess with our America Junior buddies up north.

andrewsoboring, USA got silver in 2010 Olympics in an OT loss that was a home game for Canada. That’s pretty damn close.

Since then, Canada has zero gold medals in the U-20, two silver and a bronze, while USA has two gold, and a bronze. Add in four straight U-18 golds, and that’s a pretty legit few years for us Yanks.

• jtrain1966 - Jan 8, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I don’t know if you know this but, St. Louis is far from a football town, it’s a baseball town ! If the billionaires, & millionaires wouldn’t have had this squabble over the millions they were fighting over, hockey might be a distance 2nd to the Cardinals . As it is now, I don’t know if they’re even in that position any more ? I guess we’ll find out here in a couple of weeks .

6. trollingthisbridge - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Who cares!?!? Bettman is a cancer and the NHL is now dead to me.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Which must be way you’re ‘trolling’ on an NHL site

7. jernster21 - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

This post is awesome. Well played JB.

8. sdelmonte - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I think the Star-Ledger was looking for something to replace Rex Ryan.

9. zetaone - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I Lol’d how the sunbelt teams had bigger headlines than Denver’s. It took me a few seconds to see their headline.

10. badintent - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Slow day for NFL, no Tebow story, no DUI news, no Eric Dickerson is happy AP didn’t break his record BS…………………………….

• kitshky - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I hear ya, but it still doesn’t really discredit them being cover stories and not just page fillers in the Sports section.

• kitshky - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Wait a minute … how the hell is this a slow news day for the NFL. Were you not watching yesterday!?

• badintent - Jan 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM

kitshky
      It was a bit tongue in cheek humor……….. Great games, but U have to understand the NFL Network is a drama machine and with Jets out of the picture is was sow by their standards.My Bad, I did leave out any or Dree Bress needing an explanation news.

• kitshky - Jan 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Ok Ok, I wasn’t calling you out as much as I was calling myself out for agreeing with you … and then realizing it’s only Monday ha ha.

(I might still be on holidays)

• badintent - Jan 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Cool, most of us are still on the holidays, my popcorn machine broke and T.O. is not taking my calls anymore( but no one is taking his ). My friend got divorced from NFL Cards team owner Bidwells’s daughter so there go my 2013 playoff tickets……………NOT ! LOL

11. hawkeyplayer - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Odd… there was virtually no news coverage of the lockout while it was going on… glad its back tho!

12. orangeandblack67 - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Is that survivors tale from Detroit about one of the many fans like myself reading every story on PHT for the last 4 months hoping for a deal to get done? It would be a fitting headline ( no disrespect to the actual story)

• kwells44 - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I first thought the Dallas headline next to their NHL mention (’11 revenue estimate was off by billions) was referring to an estimated past HRR amount the owners started with vs. what the PA determined was the actual amount…

13. thedavesiknowiknow - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Dear Philadelphia,

You misspelled “Aren’t”. Pretty badly, actually.

14. stinkydiaperz - Jan 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

As an American living in Wisconsin, we don’t even have our own pro team (I have to follow Minnesota, ick) I can honestly say I am very happy about my country’s interest in the game. I also think that though this lockout (and possible future lockouts) might hurt interest in the game, we northerners still love us some hockey, and as long as it’s on TV I’m watching the sh*t out of it!

15. metroplexfrog - Jan 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

It’s about time this got done. If the Stars are good the arena in downtown Dallas will be rockin’.

16. schuckme - Jan 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM

being a huge sports fan especially flyers fan from Philly and seeing all the other papers reminds me why I love my city and it has the daily news which is the best paper here and it just proves Philly as one of the top 3 best sports city bar none.. nobody else puts sports on its front AND BACK pages almost everyday of the year

17. schuckme - Jan 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM

@aesophy… the rays are popular down there in Tampa? since when? anytime I see bolts home games on tv they always have a moderately packed house but the rays? empty ballpark until September if the team is jockeying for playoff spot…what a joke..

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D