Jan 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
The Philadelphia blueline could be thin to start the season.
Already without the services of Chris Pronger, the Flyers aren’t certain they’ll have Andrej Meszaros available for the proposed Jan. 19 start date — he’s still dealing with the after effects of a torn Achilles, according to CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio.
“Sometimes I am really sore and I can’t push off,” Meszaros explained. “I’m still weak [in the heel area]. It’s a matter of time before I get my strength back.”
Meszaros tore his Achilles in August and resumed skating in November. Give it’s now January, that might seem like ample time to rehab an injury — but do keep in mind the timetable for recovery varies greatly.
New Jersey’s Travis Zajac tore his Achilles last August and returned to action on Dec. 16, a four month recovery period. But after playing in just eight games, he was shut down by team doctors for another two months.
All told, Zajac missed 67 regular season games (though he did play in all 24 of the Devils’ playoff games.)
Ex-Flyer Justin Williams tore his in Sept. 2008 while playing for Carolina. His return was borderline remarkable, getting back into game action on Dec. 4 — a three month recovery period.
Williams went on to play 44 games that year, though he struggled (just 14 points and a minus-8 rating.)
When asked, Meszaros was uncertain if he’d be able to open should the season start in two weeks’ time.
“I don’t know,” he said. “It’s tough to say.”
Without Meszaros, the Flyers defense is looking at a top-four of Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Nicklas Grossmann and Luke Schenn, with Bruno Gervais, Andreas Lilja, Marc-Andre Bourdon, Erik Gustafsson and Brandon Manning battling for spots five and six.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
He emerged as the team’s No. 2 center last season.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
That adds another layer to the Flames’ goaltending competition.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
He has played in 132 NHL games.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
It led to him having a minor procedure.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)