Jan 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
The Philadelphia blueline could be thin to start the season.
Already without the services of Chris Pronger, the Flyers aren’t certain they’ll have Andrej Meszaros available for the proposed Jan. 19 start date — he’s still dealing with the after effects of a torn Achilles, according to CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio.
“Sometimes I am really sore and I can’t push off,” Meszaros explained. “I’m still weak [in the heel area]. It’s a matter of time before I get my strength back.”
Meszaros tore his Achilles in August and resumed skating in November. Give it’s now January, that might seem like ample time to rehab an injury — but do keep in mind the timetable for recovery varies greatly.
New Jersey’s Travis Zajac tore his Achilles last August and returned to action on Dec. 16, a four month recovery period. But after playing in just eight games, he was shut down by team doctors for another two months.
All told, Zajac missed 67 regular season games (though he did play in all 24 of the Devils’ playoff games.)
Ex-Flyer Justin Williams tore his in Sept. 2008 while playing for Carolina. His return was borderline remarkable, getting back into game action on Dec. 4 — a three month recovery period.
Williams went on to play 44 games that year, though he struggled (just 14 points and a minus-8 rating.)
When asked, Meszaros was uncertain if he’d be able to open should the season start in two weeks’ time.
“I don’t know,” he said. “It’s tough to say.”
Without Meszaros, the Flyers defense is looking at a top-four of Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Nicklas Grossmann and Luke Schenn, with Bruno Gervais, Andreas Lilja, Marc-Andre Bourdon, Erik Gustafsson and Brandon Manning battling for spots five and six.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The two met in the Czech Republic to get to know one another.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Lehtonen and Niemi will account for $10.4 million in cap space next season.
Aug 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He’s heading into the final year of his two-year, $5 million deal.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Winnipeg was affiliated with the Ontario Reign last season.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He signed a two-year, bridge contract worth $5.6 million on Thursday.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
He’s also a veteran of 616 career games.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
That’s close to the middle between his and Washington’s requests.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The decision surprised Arizona’s general manager.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
The defenseman spent the 2014-15 campaign in the Swiss League.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
He considers himself a “young 29.”
Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Ray Shero’s restructure continues.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
There is a key deadline approaching though.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Johnson won a gold medal in 1988, but it was taken away because of a positive steroids test.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
There’s a $500 million expansion fee to consider.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
This will be a key season for him.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Has Buffalo set itself up for an era of long playoff runs?
Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)