Jan 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
The Philadelphia blueline could be thin to start the season.
Already without the services of Chris Pronger, the Flyers aren’t certain they’ll have Andrej Meszaros available for the proposed Jan. 19 start date — he’s still dealing with the after effects of a torn Achilles, according to CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio.
“Sometimes I am really sore and I can’t push off,” Meszaros explained. “I’m still weak [in the heel area]. It’s a matter of time before I get my strength back.”
Meszaros tore his Achilles in August and resumed skating in November. Give it’s now January, that might seem like ample time to rehab an injury — but do keep in mind the timetable for recovery varies greatly.
New Jersey’s Travis Zajac tore his Achilles last August and returned to action on Dec. 16, a four month recovery period. But after playing in just eight games, he was shut down by team doctors for another two months.
All told, Zajac missed 67 regular season games (though he did play in all 24 of the Devils’ playoff games.)
Ex-Flyer Justin Williams tore his in Sept. 2008 while playing for Carolina. His return was borderline remarkable, getting back into game action on Dec. 4 — a three month recovery period.
Williams went on to play 44 games that year, though he struggled (just 14 points and a minus-8 rating.)
When asked, Meszaros was uncertain if he’d be able to open should the season start in two weeks’ time.
“I don’t know,” he said. “It’s tough to say.”
Without Meszaros, the Flyers defense is looking at a top-four of Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Nicklas Grossmann and Luke Schenn, with Bruno Gervais, Andreas Lilja, Marc-Andre Bourdon, Erik Gustafsson and Brandon Manning battling for spots five and six.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
May 28, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
The former led Canada to gold at the most recent World Junior tourney.
May 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s expected to be ready for the start of training camp.
May 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Both forwards are New Jersey draft picks.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
His contract will expire after 2015-16.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 3
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 13
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)