Del Zotto is anxious to sign with Rangers

Jan 7, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT

NEW YORK, NY - MAY 23: Michael Del Zotto #4 of the New York Rangers warms-up prior to the game against the New Jersey Devils in Game Five of the Eastern Conference Final during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on May 23, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Levy/NHLI via Getty Images) Getty Images

The quick turnaround from a CBA agreement to training camp creates a crash course for just about every player, but guys without deals will feel the biggest squeeze. That probably explains why restricted free agent Michael Del Zotto sounded antsy while discussing contract talks with ESPN’s Katie Strang.

“I’m hoping to get something done as soon as possible,” Del Zotto said. “I know my agents and Glen (Sather) are talking and I expect that they’ll try to get a deal that’s fair to me and the team.”

Strang reports that the New York Rangers GM is expected to meet with his agent Don Meehan on Tuesday.

Some believe that the offensive defenseman was previously asking for at least $3 million per season:

A source told ESPNNewYork.com that Del Zotto was previously seeking a multiyear deal for more than $3 million a year, although it is not immediately clear if that stance has softened given the time-sensitive situation and Del Zotto’s lack of leverage.

The 22-year-old blueliner’s had an interesting three seasons with the Blueshirts. He burst onto the scene with a 37-point rookie campaign, regressed to the point of getting sent to the minors in 2010-11 and then set career-highs in scoring (including 41 points), plus/minus (+20) and ice time (22:26 minutes per game) last season.

He acknowledged the unusually small timeline for getting a deal done.

“It’s not a normal circumstance obviously with half the season gone already but it’s the same situation as before. We’re just trying to get a deal that’s fair for both sides,” Del Zotto said. “I know I’m ready to play as soon as possible.”