Jan 7, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
The quick turnaround from a CBA agreement to training camp creates a crash course for just about every player, but guys without deals will feel the biggest squeeze. That probably explains why restricted free agent Michael Del Zotto sounded antsy while discussing contract talks with ESPN’s Katie Strang.
“I’m hoping to get something done as soon as possible,” Del Zotto said. “I know my agents and Glen (Sather) are talking and I expect that they’ll try to get a deal that’s fair to me and the team.”
Strang reports that the New York Rangers GM is expected to meet with his agent Don Meehan on Tuesday.
Some believe that the offensive defenseman was previously asking for at least $3 million per season:
A source told ESPNNewYork.com that Del Zotto was previously seeking a multiyear deal for more than $3 million a year, although it is not immediately clear if that stance has softened given the time-sensitive situation and Del Zotto’s lack of leverage.
The 22-year-old blueliner’s had an interesting three seasons with the Blueshirts. He burst onto the scene with a 37-point rookie campaign, regressed to the point of getting sent to the minors in 2010-11 and then set career-highs in scoring (including 41 points), plus/minus (+20) and ice time (22:26 minutes per game) last season.
He acknowledged the unusually small timeline for getting a deal done.
“It’s not a normal circumstance obviously with half the season gone already but it’s the same situation as before. We’re just trying to get a deal that’s fair for both sides,” Del Zotto said. “I know I’m ready to play as soon as possible.”
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 1
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16