Jan 7, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
Though we won’t know the exact details of the new CBA until it’s ratified, one thing is for certain: only 16 teams will make the playoffs this season.
“No expansion of the Playoffs being contemplated for this year (and I don’t think any is being contemplated beyond this year either),” deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an email to Puck Daddy.
It was reported last week before a tentative CBA was reached that the NHL and NHLPA were internally discussing a 20-team postseason. But apparently that’s as far it went.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)