Jan 6, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
NHL clubs will have to adjust to a $64.3 million salary cap in 2013-14 as part of the tentative new CBA, but they will each get two amnesty buyouts to help them through the transition, according to CP’s Chris Johnston and Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.
The debate on which players will be bought out will start immediately, but teams don’t need to rush to a decision. NHL franchises will be allowed to use the buyouts starting this summer and they will also have the opportunity to exercise them during the 2014 off-season. They can buy out two players simultaneously or spread them out if they wish.
The players bought out will still receive two-thirds of what’s left on their contract, but those costs will not count towards the salary cap. However, they will still count towards the players’ share of hockey-related revenues.
Given that the first amnesty buyout period won’t start until this summer, some potential candidates will have the opportunity to try to avoid that fate by performing admirably during the shortened season.
Oh, and FYI…
those asking, Bill Daly confirmed you CANT use the compliance buyouts on players who have LTIR status, such as Chris Pronger.—
Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) January 06, 2013
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)