Jan 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Carlo Colaiacovo changed Central Division teams by signing with the Detroit Red Wings before the lockout, but that hasn’t stopped him from dealing with the same injury frustrations.
The brittle blueliner expects to miss two to three weeks after injuring his shoulder at the Spengler Cup, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. (That outlook could change once the Red Wings get to see it for themselves, however.)
That would likely fall in line with missing a small portion of the abbreviated 2012-13 season, but again, a lot can change once the team observes the injury.
Colaiacovo could be an asset – albeit a subtle one – if he manages to play more often than not.
Still, many will remember him for his injury history more than anything else.
St. Louis Game Time does a great job chronicling the revolving door of ailments he’s experienced, but the bottom line is that he’s only played more than 70 games once in his career* and fell in the 60-range during his St. Louis Blues run.
Colaiacovo’s time with the Red Wings could eventually turn out more positive, yet it’s obviously not off to a great start.
* 73 games between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Blues in 2008-09.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)