Jan 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Carlo Colaiacovo changed Central Division teams by signing with the Detroit Red Wings before the lockout, but that hasn’t stopped him from dealing with the same injury frustrations.
The brittle blueliner expects to miss two to three weeks after injuring his shoulder at the Spengler Cup, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. (That outlook could change once the Red Wings get to see it for themselves, however.)
That would likely fall in line with missing a small portion of the abbreviated 2012-13 season, but again, a lot can change once the team observes the injury.
Colaiacovo could be an asset – albeit a subtle one – if he manages to play more often than not.
Still, many will remember him for his injury history more than anything else.
St. Louis Game Time does a great job chronicling the revolving door of ailments he’s experienced, but the bottom line is that he’s only played more than 70 games once in his career* and fell in the 60-range during his St. Louis Blues run.
Colaiacovo’s time with the Red Wings could eventually turn out more positive, yet it’s obviously not off to a great start.
* 73 games between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Blues in 2008-09.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)