Jan 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Carlo Colaiacovo changed Central Division teams by signing with the Detroit Red Wings before the lockout, but that hasn’t stopped him from dealing with the same injury frustrations.
The brittle blueliner expects to miss two to three weeks after injuring his shoulder at the Spengler Cup, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. (That outlook could change once the Red Wings get to see it for themselves, however.)
That would likely fall in line with missing a small portion of the abbreviated 2012-13 season, but again, a lot can change once the team observes the injury.
Colaiacovo could be an asset – albeit a subtle one – if he manages to play more often than not.
Still, many will remember him for his injury history more than anything else.
St. Louis Game Time does a great job chronicling the revolving door of ailments he’s experienced, but the bottom line is that he’s only played more than 70 games once in his career* and fell in the 60-range during his St. Louis Blues run.
Colaiacovo’s time with the Red Wings could eventually turn out more positive, yet it’s obviously not off to a great start.
* 73 games between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Blues in 2008-09.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)