Jan 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Carlo Colaiacovo changed Central Division teams by signing with the Detroit Red Wings before the lockout, but that hasn’t stopped him from dealing with the same injury frustrations.
The brittle blueliner expects to miss two to three weeks after injuring his shoulder at the Spengler Cup, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. (That outlook could change once the Red Wings get to see it for themselves, however.)
That would likely fall in line with missing a small portion of the abbreviated 2012-13 season, but again, a lot can change once the team observes the injury.
Colaiacovo could be an asset – albeit a subtle one – if he manages to play more often than not.
Still, many will remember him for his injury history more than anything else.
St. Louis Game Time does a great job chronicling the revolving door of ailments he’s experienced, but the bottom line is that he’s only played more than 70 games once in his career* and fell in the 60-range during his St. Louis Blues run.
Colaiacovo’s time with the Red Wings could eventually turn out more positive, yet it’s obviously not off to a great start.
* 73 games between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Blues in 2008-09.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 95
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)