Jan 6, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Carlo Colaiacovo changed Central Division teams by signing with the Detroit Red Wings before the lockout, but that hasn’t stopped him from dealing with the same injury frustrations.
The brittle blueliner expects to miss two to three weeks after injuring his shoulder at the Spengler Cup, according to the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. (That outlook could change once the Red Wings get to see it for themselves, however.)
That would likely fall in line with missing a small portion of the abbreviated 2012-13 season, but again, a lot can change once the team observes the injury.
Colaiacovo could be an asset – albeit a subtle one – if he manages to play more often than not.
Still, many will remember him for his injury history more than anything else.
St. Louis Game Time does a great job chronicling the revolving door of ailments he’s experienced, but the bottom line is that he’s only played more than 70 games once in his career* and fell in the 60-range during his St. Louis Blues run.
Colaiacovo’s time with the Red Wings could eventually turn out more positive, yet it’s obviously not off to a great start.
* 73 games between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Blues in 2008-09.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)