Jan 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Whether the season kicks off on Jan. 19 or a little sooner, NHL teams will be in scramble mode once some CBA specifics are clarified. In the mean time, onlookers can ask a fun question: which teams will benefit the most from a shortened season?
Rest vs. Rust
A lightning-quick training camp means less time for locked-out players to get into game shape, so teams with several guys who went overseas (like the Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers) or played in the AHL could benefit.
Then again, players on the sidelines avoided injuries* and should be fresher for a hectic schedule.
Experience vs. Youth
The argument for younger teams benefiting from a condensed schedule is a lot like the well-rested one: generally, their bodies are expected to hold up better. On the other hand, more veteran-heavy teams might benefit from superior chemistry and poise in the face of what could be a wild 2012-13 season.
Of course, you can also discuss individual teams’ benefits (or detriments) in the comments, too.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)