Jan 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Whether the season kicks off on Jan. 19 or a little sooner, NHL teams will be in scramble mode once some CBA specifics are clarified. In the mean time, onlookers can ask a fun question: which teams will benefit the most from a shortened season?
Rest vs. Rust
A lightning-quick training camp means less time for locked-out players to get into game shape, so teams with several guys who went overseas (like the Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers) or played in the AHL could benefit.
Then again, players on the sidelines avoided injuries* and should be fresher for a hectic schedule.
Experience vs. Youth
The argument for younger teams benefiting from a condensed schedule is a lot like the well-rested one: generally, their bodies are expected to hold up better. On the other hand, more veteran-heavy teams might benefit from superior chemistry and poise in the face of what could be a wild 2012-13 season.
Of course, you can also discuss individual teams’ benefits (or detriments) in the comments, too.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)