NBC on new CBA agreement: “Let’s drop the puck”

Jan 6, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT

You bet we're excited to have the NHL back.

Now that the NHL lockout has come to an end, you better believe all of us here at NBC Sports are excited to get back to watching hockey.

NBC Sports & NBCSN Executive Producer Sam Flood had this to say about the end of the 113-day work stoppage.

“Doc, Edzo, Pierre and our entire production team are counting the seconds until the season begins so we can get back to doing what we love: telling the story of the annual quest to win the Stanley Cup, the greatest trophy in sports. Let’s drop the puck.”

NBC’s lead play-by-play man and broadcasting legend Doc Emrick followed with a thought of his own.

“Only one chance to make a good first impression. I have no doubt the players will do just that. They will have to. The effect of even a two-game losing streak will be four.”

A shortened season should make the whole thing feel like a run to the playoffs. Game on, everyone.

1. sportsfan69 - Jan 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Will fans be allowed to watch NHL games on the NBC sports app? It really would be nice to watch NHL games on my IPAD especially if I’m traveling. Many hotels carry a limited of channels. Can the NHL remove all of those stupid “Black Out Restrictions.” Also, will the NHL create a channel similar to the NFL’s Redzone? How about on the league’s busier nights like on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. It could be “The Night In Canada” broadcast crew.

There just suggestions for improvements. The NHL FANS deserve better.

• sportsfan69 - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Hockey Night In Canada.

• sportsfan69 - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Here’s a suggestion. Offer the NHL Center Ice package for $159.00 for this year, along with the next season (2013 Season+ 2013-2014 Season). Also, for an additional $20.00, you can add the NHL Center Ice App (IPAD) for this season along with the next season (2013-2014). It would be an excellent way to generate immediate revenue, along with rewarding the hardcore fans.

Also, hopefully the NBC Sports App (IPAD) will broadcast live NHL games like they do for the NFL Sunday Night broadcast and the Notre Dame games broadcasted on NBC. Gentlemen, this league needs the EXPOSURE.

Come On…..

2. northstars17 - Jan 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

BOOM!

Just like that…. magically over night?

Insiders are telling me my name was actually brought up during late night negotiations last night, and that my comments actually HELPED the 2 sides reach a deal as they saw the optimism was fading, fast!

I’m not here looking for any fame nor fortune, but you guys can thank me for putting pressure on the League. Now you guys have some hockey to watch!

Hope everyone has a blessed morning, and a fun-filled season of Hockey… but let you never forget my contributions, that’s all I ask!

• govtminion - Jan 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM

You are cordially invited to dine on a bag of crap, good sir.

• kitshky - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

@northstars17 … probably the only way you could respond after all your trolling self promoting BS the last couple days. Kinda funny, I’ll give ya that.

• schlitzy - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Joey 2.0
      *face palm*

• whatthepuck2012 - Jan 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I don’t think even Joey would’ve been narcissistic enough to think HE was being discussed in negotiations. That’s…wow.

• calithirteen - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM

What an A** CLOWN

3. nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I’ll probably still tune in but I’m sorry to hear that Olczyk and McGuire will be coming back. Ed talks way too much and says too little, while Pierre is very well informed but tries way too hard to tell us everything he knows every time he says anything. So, Ed, please pipe down, or even better, go back to Chicago; Pierre, economize, save some for next time.

• pensfan603 - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Former Head coach of a stanley cup team… Eddy is the man and ill agree with pierre he knows what he is talking about but sometimes hell say to much. And if that former Blues goalie comes back im gonna be so made, so biased.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Hi pensfan. I’m not sure where you got your info but mine says Olczyk was head coach of the Pens for 03-04 and 05-06, and they missed the playoffs both seasons. He may make a fine coach some day, I don’t know. He may be a splendid fellow. I don’t know him. I have heard him a lot on TV and I just don’t like his work as a commentator, partly because he speaks our language so poorly and trips over his thoughts. Perhaps too many head hits, which would be very sad indeed. Whatever, I’d prefer Bill Clement or Brian Engblom.

• hockeyflow33 - Jan 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I’ve never understood how he not only played so long in the NHL, but also coached in the best league in the world, and yet knows absolutely nothing about hockey.

4. sportsfan69 - Jan 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Exposure! Exposure! Is the key to future revenue growth.

5. aklolzer - Jan 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM

pierre mcguire is gay

• handsofsweed - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Great, Now keep your sexual preferences to yourself. Nobody cares who you like.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM

akolzer: A lot of people are gay. Did his wife tell you he is gay, or did your date with him go poorly? Either way, what exactly was your point, assuming you had one? No, I didn’t think so.

6. capsrockva - Jan 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM

i think Joe B and Craig L are one of the best broadcasters in the game

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM

caps: I disagree, and being separate individuals, Joe and Craig would be not one, but two of my least favorite broadcasters in any game.

• mmcneels81 - Jan 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Love Joe B. Could definitely do without Locker.

7. fortwaynekomets - Jan 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Fans… tired of being locked out and feeling like the useless pieces of crap the league has made you out to be?

TIME TO STAND UP AND SPEAK OUT!

HOW… you might ask?

BOYCOTTS. THEY ARE NESSESARY RIGHT NOW….more than ever…. OR ELSE THE LEAGUE WILL N-E-V-E-R STOP THESE LOCKOUTS!!!

We the FANS… aka the ONLY people who keep the NHL operating and pay the players salaries… we NEED TO MAKE A STATEMENT.

Watch games on Television, watch them at sports bars, get together with some friends, have a viewing party, etc. Remember in JUST a few months we will be preparing for a new season anyways. THIS is the time to send a statement to the league we will NO longer tolerate this type of treatment as fans!

History has shown the owners not only know the FANS will fill the seats, they EXPECT it.

Don’t want to ever go through this emotional rollercoaster again?

YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

• desertfan - Jan 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Boycotters have vanished- just read the enthusiastic posts!!!

100,000 season ticket holders in 7 Canadian cities.

200 cancellations this year mostly due to personal reasons.

Average of 5-7,000 on each wait list.

Opening dates are all sold out.

Bye bye boycotter or boycotters if more than one!!!

8. fortwaynekomets - Jan 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

to be honest, it seems surreal that hockey might start. its been so long!

I was actually getting SO into minor league hockey like the ECHL and the AHL! it will be interesting to see how it all plays out now with the NHL starting operations finally.

You can catch all the action on America One Sports online! CHL, ECHL, College etc. and despite NHL resuming… the playoffs are going to be insanely!

9. pooinyourface - Jan 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

hahah yea seriously a bag of dog crap is right….he thinks his comments were brought up at the meetings lmao. I heard Barack and Michele were talking about my first little league home run at breakfast this morning.

• handsofsweed - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Nuh-uh. They talked about when I scored 4 touchdowns…in a single game.

10. jimw81 - Jan 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM

no more encore presentations of Rocky III, Yay!

11. icrew29 - Jan 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

There is nothing that makes you guys happy. Why do all you want to do is critique or complain about everything. For some reason you all think you are perfect, what a sad world we live in.

• handsofsweed - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Your second sentence should have had a question mark at the end.

12. chefklm - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I’m sure Mcguire has plenty of lip gloss to kiss Penguin ass…

• pensfan603 - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I hope so (kiss)

13. hocsocmom715 - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Cannot wait to see Doc and Pierre again. Lets get the puck dropped!

14. erianapolis - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Can’t wait.

15. Stiller43 - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Capsrockva,

Yeah i wonder why. Youre probably not biased at all.

16. cvgconstruction - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Is there a reason they could not of done this back at the beginning of the season

17. proudliberal85392 - Jan 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM

icrew29: I’m with you. Wish I was as smart as all of these people.

18. schapley18 - Jan 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Emerick will always be a Devils homer. Otherwise, i dont mind him entirely too much…GO FLYERS!

• lesleyvissersfacelift - Jan 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Emerick was a Flyers announcer before he worked for the Devils.

• schapley18 - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

IF that is true then i am unaware. Its understandable to favor the devils if your an announcer for their home network, but when it pours over into national television it gets old.

19. fortwaynekomets - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Bring back Pat Foley!!!!

I <3 that guys commentary!

20. fortwaynekomets - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

What makes you think there will be no Boycotting you retatd?

because I’m enthusiastic about hockey starting? duh!

what does me being excited have to do with giving the NHL money?

I am NOT buying Center Ice even if its discounted or prorated.

I am NOT attending any live games, at least until the very end of this short season, if at all. Only Playoff games.

Hockey is MY sport. being enthusiastic about MY sport has nothing to do with boycotting, numbnuts!

• zetaone - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

So to sum it up your comments the past couple days…

You won’t support the NHL because you love it.

You’re not boycotting because you’re boycotting, you’re just boycotting to boycott because “boycotts are necessary right now”.

Those that don’t agree with you are “retatds”, and “numbnuts”.

You won’t give them money at all. Except maayyyybee at the end of the season. Or if your team makes the playoffs. That’ll teach ‘em all right!

You sure know how to stick to your guns!

I also forgot to randomly capitalize Non-Proper Names.

Get off your soap box. If you really wanted to teach them a lesson, don’t ever watch or pay attention to the NHL ever again. That includes posting your wisdom on these or any forums.

21. hawkeyplayer - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM

If fans don’t boycott at the least first couple of games, well then you’re all a bunch of big fatass liars!!!

I’ve seen every screen name on here say they would boycott at one point or another!

I bet none of you have the balls to do so!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I’ve not been to an NHL game since 1999, and I don’t plan on going to one this year either. I admit that I have no such team within 150 miles, but even if I did, I wouldn’t go.

22. pooinyourface - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I got $100 in it that the Islanders fans will participate in the boycott the most of all nhl fans.

23. finfan88shark - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:29 AM