Jan 6, 2013, 7:35 AM EDT
With word of a tentative CBA agreement breaking in the wee hours of Sunday morning,* NHL players dispensed all over the globe likely let out a cheer (and maybe a frantic call to their travel agents). Or at least they will when they wake up.
Here’s a quick collection of reactions from the players who apparently weren’t deep in REM sleep:
Sidney Crosby‘s reaction to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe won’t shock anyone with its depth, yet it captured the mood:
“I’m really happy a deal has been reached,” Crosby said. “It’s exciting to know we will be back playing hockey.”
Crosby captured the elation while Shane Doan relayed his relief to reporters:
“Everyone’s obviously relieved that it’s over and done with,” Doan said.
Full video from Doan:
P.K. Subban shows that he never passes up a chirping opportunity, as he reminded the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs that he guaranteed that the lockout would end.
“I’m just happy this madness is over so I can go back to work,” Thornton said.
Here’s video of key NHLPA figure Ron Hainsey‘s reactions:
This collection is a solid barometer of the reactions to the late-breaking news. Oddly enough, players haven’t professed their love for Gary Bettman or Bill Daly, but we’ll certainly make note if they do.
* – Or Saturday night, if you’re one of the brave souls who stayed up through it all.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
The Bruins are one of the most effective teams in the league with the man advantage.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
He was pulled late in Friday’s game.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
The contest will start at 12:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
He has seven points in his first two playoff games.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
With a two-goal lead, Pittsburgh had four forwards on during a power play, which proved to be the turning point of this game.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
Meanwhile the Lightning are in a dangerous position.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“You can’t defend on your heels,” Ryan Suter said.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Colorado overcomes some strange officiating late in Game 2.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Colorado’s rookie sensation is inspiring some bold words.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
Colorado might want to keep Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon together.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
Special teams factored in.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
Apr 19, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
The defenseman last played in the first period.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
He’s clearly not wilting in the postseason spotlight.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Columbus has been in the NHL since the 2000-01 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
More magic from Paul Stastny?
Apr 19, 2014, 8:36 PM EDT
Quite a busy 2:26 of ice time.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I have to be better.”
Apr 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
The Blues coach mostly pleads the fifth.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
His play may wind up costing him a suspension.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7