Jan 6, 2013, 7:35 AM EDT
With word of a tentative CBA agreement breaking in the wee hours of Sunday morning,* NHL players dispensed all over the globe likely let out a cheer (and maybe a frantic call to their travel agents). Or at least they will when they wake up.
Here’s a quick collection of reactions from the players who apparently weren’t deep in REM sleep:
Sidney Crosby‘s reaction to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe won’t shock anyone with its depth, yet it captured the mood:
“I’m really happy a deal has been reached,” Crosby said. “It’s exciting to know we will be back playing hockey.”
Crosby captured the elation while Shane Doan relayed his relief to reporters:
“Everyone’s obviously relieved that it’s over and done with,” Doan said.
Full video from Doan:
P.K. Subban shows that he never passes up a chirping opportunity, as he reminded the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs that he guaranteed that the lockout would end.
“I’m just happy this madness is over so I can go back to work,” Thornton said.
Here’s video of key NHLPA figure Ron Hainsey‘s reactions:
This collection is a solid barometer of the reactions to the late-breaking news. Oddly enough, players haven’t professed their love for Gary Bettman or Bill Daly, but we’ll certainly make note if they do.
* – Or Saturday night, if you’re one of the brave souls who stayed up through it all.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
“It’s extortion is what it is. I don’t make this stuff up.”
Sep 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Caps blueliner has had bad luck in the health department.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Florida’s youngsters stole the show overall.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
And he’ll reportedly miss part of Minnesota’s training camp.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
The former appeared in three games for Chicago last year; the latter played in Germany.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Sep 16, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
The future of Detroit’s defense gets locked in.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
Just one month after re-signing Jakob Silfverberg on the cheap.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
“Fines are meaningful. And I think it has to do with essentially being called out.”
Sep 16, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He’ll be part of the player development department.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
We pick a couple of long shots.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Kings forward “didn’t want to become a free agent and leave” L.A.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
That’s him getting tossed around by Ryan Reaves.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
For “outstanding service to hockey in the United States.”
Sep 16, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Veteran power forward is trying to return from another concussion.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Will the NHL be watching?
Sep 16, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
Sounds like he got the message.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The recently signed forward hopes to stick with “powerhouse” team.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT
“It’s turned the corner for the better as far as rehab has gone.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53