Jan 6, 2013, 7:35 AM EST
With word of a tentative CBA agreement breaking in the wee hours of Sunday morning,* NHL players dispensed all over the globe likely let out a cheer (and maybe a frantic call to their travel agents). Or at least they will when they wake up.
Here’s a quick collection of reactions from the players who apparently weren’t deep in REM sleep:
Sidney Crosby‘s reaction to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe won’t shock anyone with its depth, yet it captured the mood:
“I’m really happy a deal has been reached,” Crosby said. “It’s exciting to know we will be back playing hockey.”
Crosby captured the elation while Shane Doan relayed his relief to reporters:
“Everyone’s obviously relieved that it’s over and done with,” Doan said.
Full video from Doan:
P.K. Subban shows that he never passes up a chirping opportunity, as he reminded the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs that he guaranteed that the lockout would end.
“I’m just happy this madness is over so I can go back to work,” Thornton said.
Here’s video of key NHLPA figure Ron Hainsey‘s reactions:
This collection is a solid barometer of the reactions to the late-breaking news. Oddly enough, players haven’t professed their love for Gary Bettman or Bill Daly, but we’ll certainly make note if they do.
* – Or Saturday night, if you’re one of the brave souls who stayed up through it all.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Click for video of the incident.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Minny dominated L.A. early in the season, but lost 2-1.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Originally out 4-6 weeks, he’s back in just over three.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
But how much public money will be required?
Nov 26, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
The Blues are one of the few teams in the NHL with a surplus of quality centers.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Jordan Binnington on his way up to St. Louis.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
To cheer, or boo? That’s the query.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Two teams headed down different paths?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
He missed the last three games with an upper-body injury.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 6
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 6
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)