Crosby: “I’m really happy a deal has been reached”

Jan 6, 2013, 7:35 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby AP

With word of a tentative CBA agreement breaking in the wee hours of Sunday morning,* NHL players dispensed all over the globe likely let out a cheer (and maybe a frantic call to their travel agents). Or at least they will when they wake up.

Here’s a quick collection of reactions from the players who apparently weren’t deep in REM sleep:

Sidney Crosby‘s reaction to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe won’t shock anyone with its depth, yet it captured the mood:

“I’m really happy a deal has been reached,” Crosby said. “It’s exciting to know we will be back playing hockey.”

Crosby captured the elation while Shane Doan relayed his relief to reporters:

“Everyone’s obviously relieved that it’s over and done with,” Doan said.

Full video from Doan:

P.K. Subban shows that he never passes up a chirping opportunity, as he reminded the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs that he guaranteed that the lockout would end.

There might not be a ton of fans clamoring to see Shawn Thornton play again compared to other players, but his comment to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty remains amusing and concise:

“I’m just happy this madness is over so I can go back to work,” Thornton said.

Here’s video of key NHLPA figure Ron Hainsey‘s reactions:

This collection is a solid barometer of the reactions to the late-breaking news. Oddly enough, players haven’t professed their love for Gary Bettman or Bill Daly, but we’ll certainly make note if they do.

* – Or Saturday night, if you’re one of the brave souls who stayed up through it all.

1. lesleyvissersfacelift - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Don’t you mean Saturday night?

2. buffalomafia - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Lets go Buffalo! Flyers still dont have a goalie!

• phillyphanatic77 - Jan 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Why is there so much trash talk going back and forth between Flyers and Sabres fans? I’d expect more Flyers-Pens talk

3. dcfan4life - Jan 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Really, Im shocked. Travel Agents still exist???

4. ironcity6pak - Jan 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM

It’s a good day!! Now how do I get my hands on some fresh Pens Flyers tickets?

• mpg44 - Jan 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Sheep

• mpg44 - Jan 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM

When opening night returns soon . Get your favorite teams shirts , hats and what nots ready . Get pumped , get ready for a great night . But spend that night with fellow fans not inside the arenas . Spend your ticket money in the local bars a restaurants surrounding the arenas . Give your hard earned money to people who are way more deserving of it . Help those who were innocent victims of this lockout . Lastly , enjoy sending the correct message to the league and players association , we are in control !! Not you !! If all of us could do this that would be awesome , if some do it … It will still send a message that would resonate for years to come . Just think about these last four months before you confirm those ticket purchases !!

• hockeyflow33 - Jan 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Why? Grow up, this is their job, it’s not a personal attack on fans.

5. chefklm - Jan 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM

@ Buffalomafia

And the Flyers will still own your AHL grade team……

6. boondocksaint7 - Jan 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Let’s go Pens!

7. mattdaddy7 - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Well, as long as Cindy’s happy…

8. SpeakPhilly - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Don’t know why Cindy is happy. His brain will be scrambled very soon now

• fbothharbaughs - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Kinda like that headcase Bryzgalov?

9. buffalomafia - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

@chefklm I like the Flyers next to the Sabres! In all reality they never try to get a top goalie. The Flyers should be in Stanely cup finals every year!

I hate the Pens & cry baby Cynthia Crosby!

10. steelcity412 - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Here we go with the Cindy Cynthia bs. Can’t wait till the puck drops and Crosby is doing circles around everyone in Philly and makin Ryan miller look like the fool he is in buffalo , what a sorry excuse for a franchise! Also can’t Wait for Claudia giroux to cry about his wrists after every pens game

• caucasian1975 - Jan 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Typical thin skinned fair weather pens fan.

• zico25 - Jan 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Wouldn’t it be fair to say all the people who whine about Crosby articles the first chance they get are thin-skinned and fair weather? You see his name, and instantly the crying starts.

• mclovinhockey - Jan 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

2 broken wrists and he still scores and lays out crosby in the first shift of the pens last game.
      If you really want to talk trash learn how to first, your comment is hypocritical and idiotic.

Flyers crushed the pens all last season, not sure how you say sid skated circles around them.

11. mclovinhockey - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Yaaaay first post after the end of the lockout is a pointless one about Crosby… I missed these.

As a flyers fan I was so pumped to see the flyers drafting Malcom Subban, would have bet my life they would have done it. Then BAM, we draft a guy we could have picked up 3rd round… He better be the next giroux cause I am still pissed about it.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jan 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Hes more of a Mike Richards than Giroux and he was projected as a late first-early second pick, so it wasn’t that much of a reach. I was disappointed with Laughton at first too, but he’s apparently tearing up junior this year. His offensive game is developing quickly. Most project him as a gritty, 20-goal, leader-type. Flyers are masters at getting talent at the end of the first rd, have a little faith.

12. acieu - Jan 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

First shift concussion

13. jimw81 - Jan 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

crosby is a crybaby

14. nananatman - Jan 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Sydney Crosby on hockey deal, “Ow… my head.”

15. ducksk - Jan 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

“a great day for hockey”! Someday the whole story will come out about what all happened to end lockout. Who cares now, it’s over. Lets just say #87 showed his leadership and class off the ice again, go ahead and hate him on the ice…..all I can say is jealousy sucks, and he is, for many reasons, the best player in hockey on and off the ice. I hope ovi stays in ruskie with his gal pal.

• hockeyflow33 - Jan 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM

huh?

16. micklethepickle - Jan 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I’m not discriminating in any way, but it would be fantastic if Crosby decided to come out of the closet while still a superstar. Just think, he’d be the first openly gay professional athlete who is/was arguably one of the best currently playing. It’s not like he hasn’t been fairly obvious during the lockout, what with his attending Madonna and Justin Bieber concerts… I mean, come on. EVERYBODY’s in on the secret, Sid…

17. somekat - Jan 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

” I just dont’ get the same response when I cry about not getting calls at my house, as I do when I cry in the NHL”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches