Jan 6, 2013, 7:35 AM EDT
With word of a tentative CBA agreement breaking in the wee hours of Sunday morning,* NHL players dispensed all over the globe likely let out a cheer (and maybe a frantic call to their travel agents). Or at least they will when they wake up.
Here’s a quick collection of reactions from the players who apparently weren’t deep in REM sleep:
Sidney Crosby‘s reaction to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe won’t shock anyone with its depth, yet it captured the mood:
“I’m really happy a deal has been reached,” Crosby said. “It’s exciting to know we will be back playing hockey.”
Crosby captured the elation while Shane Doan relayed his relief to reporters:
“Everyone’s obviously relieved that it’s over and done with,” Doan said.
Full video from Doan:
P.K. Subban shows that he never passes up a chirping opportunity, as he reminded the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs that he guaranteed that the lockout would end.
“I’m just happy this madness is over so I can go back to work,” Thornton said.
Here’s video of key NHLPA figure Ron Hainsey‘s reactions:
This collection is a solid barometer of the reactions to the late-breaking news. Oddly enough, players haven’t professed their love for Gary Bettman or Bill Daly, but we’ll certainly make note if they do.
* – Or Saturday night, if you’re one of the brave souls who stayed up through it all.
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 0
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 1
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112