Jan 6, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Along with trade talks and hasty free agent signings, one of the big training camp storylines will revolve around the many players hoping to make NHL rosters.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that several “junior-age” hockey players will get a chance to impress their teams in a short window of time. (It begs to mention many of them probably already made that decision.)
Since some have better chances than others and a few still need to be determined, here are three ways to categorize the possible invites:
Likely making the NHL: Dougie Hamilton*
He’s the one player McKenzie singled out as having an especially strong chance to start the season in the NHL. Interestingly, McKenzie also mentions that it’s unclear how games Hamilton can play for the Boston Bruins before it counts as a year against his entry-level contract.
The same question applies to these possible invites, if they make their teams:
Getting an invitation: Mark Scheifele, Jonathan Huberdeau, Ryan Murphy, Morgan Rielly and Mikhail Grigorenko.
One can only speculate how much of a chance each bright young player has to make it.
Undecided: David Broll, Phillip Danault, Mark McNeill, Brett Ritchie, Frank Corrado and Matt Dumba. (Dumba via the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo.)
Teams that already decided not to invite prospects: New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, St. Louis Blues, Nashville Predators, Washington Capitals and Calgary Flames.
Please note that other prospects could be invited and that any number of factors make this list subject to change. Still, it’s an interesting morsel from McKenzie; which players could make their teams better right away?
* – Yup, he represents a pick involved in the Phil Kessel trade.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“It wasn’t a perfect fit, to be honest.”
Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
Should be an interesting offseason in Pittsburgh.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Though the former will be on the limp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)