Jan 6, 2013, 11:40 AM EST
Along with trade talks and hasty free agent signings, one of the big training camp storylines will revolve around the many players hoping to make NHL rosters.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that several “junior-age” hockey players will get a chance to impress their teams in a short window of time. (It begs to mention many of them probably already made that decision.)
Since some have better chances than others and a few still need to be determined, here are three ways to categorize the possible invites:
Likely making the NHL: Dougie Hamilton*
He’s the one player McKenzie singled out as having an especially strong chance to start the season in the NHL. Interestingly, McKenzie also mentions that it’s unclear how games Hamilton can play for the Boston Bruins before it counts as a year against his entry-level contract.
The same question applies to these possible invites, if they make their teams:
Getting an invitation: Mark Scheifele, Jonathan Huberdeau, Ryan Murphy, Morgan Rielly and Mikhail Grigorenko.
One can only speculate how much of a chance each bright young player has to make it.
Undecided: David Broll, Phillip Danault, Mark McNeill, Brett Ritchie, Frank Corrado and Matt Dumba. (Dumba via the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo.)
Teams that already decided not to invite prospects: New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, St. Louis Blues, Nashville Predators, Washington Capitals and Calgary Flames.
Please note that other prospects could be invited and that any number of factors make this list subject to change. Still, it’s an interesting morsel from McKenzie; which players could make their teams better right away?
* – Yup, he represents a pick involved in the Phil Kessel trade.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)