Jan 6, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Along with trade talks and hasty free agent signings, one of the big training camp storylines will revolve around the many players hoping to make NHL rosters.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that several “junior-age” hockey players will get a chance to impress their teams in a short window of time. (It begs to mention many of them probably already made that decision.)
Since some have better chances than others and a few still need to be determined, here are three ways to categorize the possible invites:
Likely making the NHL: Dougie Hamilton*
He’s the one player McKenzie singled out as having an especially strong chance to start the season in the NHL. Interestingly, McKenzie also mentions that it’s unclear how games Hamilton can play for the Boston Bruins before it counts as a year against his entry-level contract.
The same question applies to these possible invites, if they make their teams:
Getting an invitation: Mark Scheifele, Jonathan Huberdeau, Ryan Murphy, Morgan Rielly and Mikhail Grigorenko.
One can only speculate how much of a chance each bright young player has to make it.
Undecided: David Broll, Phillip Danault, Mark McNeill, Brett Ritchie, Frank Corrado and Matt Dumba. (Dumba via the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo.)
Teams that already decided not to invite prospects: New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, St. Louis Blues, Nashville Predators, Washington Capitals and Calgary Flames.
Please note that other prospects could be invited and that any number of factors make this list subject to change. Still, it’s an interesting morsel from McKenzie; which players could make their teams better right away?
* – Yup, he represents a pick involved in the Phil Kessel trade.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Former Hart Trophy winner announced his retirement on Thursday.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh? Florida? New Jersey? KHL?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
Yes, the same Jim Rutherford who was the GM in Carolina for two decades.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
He didn’t want to make his intentions known until he was drafted.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 0
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 2
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 42
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)