Jan 6, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Along with trade talks and hasty free agent signings, one of the big training camp storylines will revolve around the many players hoping to make NHL rosters.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that several “junior-age” hockey players will get a chance to impress their teams in a short window of time. (It begs to mention many of them probably already made that decision.)
Since some have better chances than others and a few still need to be determined, here are three ways to categorize the possible invites:
Likely making the NHL: Dougie Hamilton*
He’s the one player McKenzie singled out as having an especially strong chance to start the season in the NHL. Interestingly, McKenzie also mentions that it’s unclear how games Hamilton can play for the Boston Bruins before it counts as a year against his entry-level contract.
The same question applies to these possible invites, if they make their teams:
Getting an invitation: Mark Scheifele, Jonathan Huberdeau, Ryan Murphy, Morgan Rielly and Mikhail Grigorenko.
One can only speculate how much of a chance each bright young player has to make it.
Undecided: David Broll, Phillip Danault, Mark McNeill, Brett Ritchie, Frank Corrado and Matt Dumba. (Dumba via the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo.)
Teams that already decided not to invite prospects: New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, St. Louis Blues, Nashville Predators, Washington Capitals and Calgary Flames.
Please note that other prospects could be invited and that any number of factors make this list subject to change. Still, it’s an interesting morsel from McKenzie; which players could make their teams better right away?
* – Yup, he represents a pick involved in the Phil Kessel trade.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)