Jan 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Team Canada dropped the bronze medal game to the host Russians 6-5 in overtime. What was already a disappointing World Junior Championships for Team Canada turned into an outright disaster as it’s the first time since 1998 they finished the tournament without a medal.
For Canada, it all started off badly in the first period as starting goalie Jordan Binnington was chased from action just 7:54 into the game after giving up three goals and getting Team Canada down in a 3-1 hole. While Jonathan Huberdeau would make it 3-2 late in the first and Mark Scheifele would even it up 3-3 early in the second, the teams would trade goals and leads through the second and third before pushing things to overtime.
In the extra session, Valeri Nichushkin would send the hometown crowd in Ufa into a medal-winning frenzy just 1:35 into overtime for the victory. Sabres prospect Andrey Makarov stopped 40 shots in the win for Russia while 2012 first overall pick Nail Yakupov scored twice.
Canada’s loss likely won’t sit well with anyone. “Unacceptable” was the word thrown around most after the game by Canadian players, according to Roy MacGregor of The Globe And Mail. It’ll make the wait for next year’s tournament in Sweden that much longer.
(Photo: IIHF Photos)
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)