Jan 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Team Canada dropped the bronze medal game to the host Russians 6-5 in overtime. What was already a disappointing World Junior Championships for Team Canada turned into an outright disaster as it’s the first time since 1998 they finished the tournament without a medal.
For Canada, it all started off badly in the first period as starting goalie Jordan Binnington was chased from action just 7:54 into the game after giving up three goals and getting Team Canada down in a 3-1 hole. While Jonathan Huberdeau would make it 3-2 late in the first and Mark Scheifele would even it up 3-3 early in the second, the teams would trade goals and leads through the second and third before pushing things to overtime.
In the extra session, Valeri Nichushkin would send the hometown crowd in Ufa into a medal-winning frenzy just 1:35 into overtime for the victory. Sabres prospect Andrey Makarov stopped 40 shots in the win for Russia while 2012 first overall pick Nail Yakupov scored twice.
Canada’s loss likely won’t sit well with anyone. “Unacceptable” was the word thrown around most after the game by Canadian players, according to Roy MacGregor of The Globe And Mail. It’ll make the wait for next year’s tournament in Sweden that much longer.
(Photo: IIHF Photos)
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (74)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)