Jan 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Team Canada dropped the bronze medal game to the host Russians 6-5 in overtime. What was already a disappointing World Junior Championships for Team Canada turned into an outright disaster as it’s the first time since 1998 they finished the tournament without a medal.
For Canada, it all started off badly in the first period as starting goalie Jordan Binnington was chased from action just 7:54 into the game after giving up three goals and getting Team Canada down in a 3-1 hole. While Jonathan Huberdeau would make it 3-2 late in the first and Mark Scheifele would even it up 3-3 early in the second, the teams would trade goals and leads through the second and third before pushing things to overtime.
In the extra session, Valeri Nichushkin would send the hometown crowd in Ufa into a medal-winning frenzy just 1:35 into overtime for the victory. Sabres prospect Andrey Makarov stopped 40 shots in the win for Russia while 2012 first overall pick Nail Yakupov scored twice.
Canada’s loss likely won’t sit well with anyone. “Unacceptable” was the word thrown around most after the game by Canadian players, according to Roy MacGregor of The Globe And Mail. It’ll make the wait for next year’s tournament in Sweden that much longer.
(Photo: IIHF Photos)
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)