Jan 5, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
Team USA’s quest for gold is fulfilled.
The United States took out defending champion Sweden 3-1 in the gold medal game of the World Junior Championships to win their first gold since 2010. Panthers prospect Rocco Grimaldi scored twice and fellow Florida prospect Vince Trocheck iced it with an empty net goal late in the third to seal the game.
Ducks prospect goalie John Gibson played strong once again in goal stopping 26 shots on his way to earning the tournament’s MVP award. Gibson is the first goalie to be named MVP since 2008 when Canada’s Steve Mason took those honors.
All in all, four Team USA players landed on the all-tournament team with Gibson, Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg), Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary), and Jake McCabe (Buffalo) earning honors. Canada’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sweden’s Filip Forsberg (Washington) were also named to the team.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)