Jan 5, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
Team USA’s quest for gold is fulfilled.
The United States took out defending champion Sweden 3-1 in the gold medal game of the World Junior Championships to win their first gold since 2010. Panthers prospect Rocco Grimaldi scored twice and fellow Florida prospect Vince Trocheck iced it with an empty net goal late in the third to seal the game.
Ducks prospect goalie John Gibson played strong once again in goal stopping 26 shots on his way to earning the tournament’s MVP award. Gibson is the first goalie to be named MVP since 2008 when Canada’s Steve Mason took those honors.
All in all, four Team USA players landed on the all-tournament team with Gibson, Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg), Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary), and Jake McCabe (Buffalo) earning honors. Canada’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sweden’s Filip Forsberg (Washington) were also named to the team.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 17
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)