Jan 5, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
Team USA’s quest for gold is fulfilled.
The United States took out defending champion Sweden 3-1 in the gold medal game of the World Junior Championships to win their first gold since 2010. Panthers prospect Rocco Grimaldi scored twice and fellow Florida prospect Vince Trocheck iced it with an empty net goal late in the third to seal the game.
Ducks prospect goalie John Gibson played strong once again in goal stopping 26 shots on his way to earning the tournament’s MVP award. Gibson is the first goalie to be named MVP since 2008 when Canada’s Steve Mason took those honors.
All in all, four Team USA players landed on the all-tournament team with Gibson, Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg), Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary), and Jake McCabe (Buffalo) earning honors. Canada’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sweden’s Filip Forsberg (Washington) were also named to the team.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)