Jan 5, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
Edmonton Oilers blueliner Justin Schultz has been both dominant and consistent in the AHL. He comfortably leads all rookies and defensemen in points with 46 in just 33 games with the Oklahoma City Barons going into Saturday’s contest.
In the coming days, we will probably find out if the NHL season will be saved or lost and if it’s the prior, Schultz will leave Oklahoma City to start his Oilers career. Before that potentially happens though, he has a shot at tying or breaking a significant record.
As the Oilers pointed out, Schultz needs just two more goals to tie the AHL’s single-season record for a rookie defensemen, which currently sits at 20. Schultz netted his 18th goal on Friday and has found the back of the net five to six times in each of the first three months of the 2012-13 campaign.
The single-season goal-scoring record for a blueliner at any stage of his career is 30, which Schultz might make a run for if the NHL season is lost. He’s also a contender to in the AHL’s scoring race, although teammate Jordan Eberle has opened up a four-point lead.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 16
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 63
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)