Jan 5, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
We still don’t know if there will even be a 2013 season, but the lockout negotiations are slowly progressing and teams need to be ready to move quickly in case an agreement is reached.
With that in mind, many coaching staffs are returning to their cities of employment while some GMs head straight from watching the World Junior Championship to their offices, according to an Ottawa Sun report.
If all goes well with the negotiations, the regular season could start on Jan. 19 following about a week of training camp. Consequently, GMs that still need to sign players or make trades to finalize their rosters won’t have much time to act.
For example, the Montreal Canadiens’ PK Subban and the New York Rangers’ Michael Del Zotto are still restricted free agents. Then of course there’s the question of what the Vancouver Canucks will do with Roberto Luongo.
At the same time, coaches will have to get their players up to speed and on the same page. That task will be made especially difficult because the players will be at various stages of readiness depending on how they spent the lockout.
Still, for any of those challenges to matter in the short term, the league and union need to come to an agreement soon.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)